Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hi all, new guy here + some VAC questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnTheCase
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Hi all, new guy here + some VAC questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi all!

I thought I'd drop a note to say hi to everyone since I'm new to your neighborhood. Last week, I bought my very first tractor, a 1950(?) Case VAC. I put a question on the age since the first digit of the serial number plate was obliterated by a past blow of some sort. But based on the other digits (?459622), I think it's in the 1950 vintage?

Anyway, I'm starting the journey to rehabilitate this beast! I want it to live and work another day. It runs okay now, but roughly, and it badly needs some TLC. The gas tank was apparently relined last year, but based on my inspection, I don't think much, if any, other work's been done on it in a long time (no records, of course). The carb needs a rebuild (leaks fuel when not running, prb bad float); new oil filter, belts and hoses are past it and need replacing; the starter skips, so I'll probably at the least need to get a new gear for that (I really hope that's all!); and the right-hand hydraulic arm is leaking, so I'll need to probably break that down and replace some gaskets at the very least. Both rear tires are shot (including one that's pretty well shredded), so those need replacing. The front tires are rough but serviceable. 2/3 of the lights remain, but the light switch is missing as well as some of the wires, and the gauge cluster needs replacing. I'll probably also replace parts in the distributor as well as the plugs and cables just for good measure, as well as cosmetically fixing rust and dents. Then I'll prime it, paint it, and add a new set of decals to make it go faster. ;)

I've been reading the Dealer's Service Manual as well as poking all over the internet looking for parts and have been able to identify most of what I need, but I could use some of your expertise to identify a few elusive things:

- Belt: I need a new fan belt for a VAC *with* a left-hand generator. I can find lots of belts for VACS *without* generators, but mine has a generator. I found one on Elmer's Repair site (elmersrepair.com), but with shipping it seems to be pricey IMO for a simple fan belt. Does anyone know the specs for the belt needed so I can maybe find one at NAPA or a tractor shop or elsewhere for a more reasonable cost?

- Carb: Mine has a Marvel-Schebler TSX-225. I can find a couple of basic rebuild kits for it on brillman.com and eBay, but can't seem to find a complete/master rebuild kit anywhere (one that includes the shafts/posts, etc.). Any leads for that?

- What hose diameter and type are needed for the top and bottom of the radiator? Can I use hoses from an auto parts store?

- Any recommendations on engine oil type/viscosity? I'll only be using it to mow fields during temperate days, not during hot/cold extremes. The manual's vague on type.

- Transmission fluid recommendations? The manual says 7 U.S. gallons of SAE 140 for 32F+ and SAE 90 for below 32F. Is that still the recommendation for today? Also, it does get below freezing where I live, but I don't need to change the oil if it's sitting idle, right?

- Lubrication grease - any one better for this? The tractor has several grease nipples that probably desperately need grease added. Just use a general formulation?

- Hydraulic fluid - what type/weight?

- Radiator - is it okay to use a standard 50/50 water/antifreeze mix, or is something else better? Any tricks to flushing the radiator, or is it the same as with a car?

Sorry for the remedial questions, but this is all new to me so I'd prefer to do it right the first time if possible. I've always been a big believer in relying on the advice of those who've been there before me - no desire to relearn lessons others have already figured out. ;)

Thanks in advice and cheers to you all.

PS: Having read other posts in the forum, I know many of you want to see the beast, so I've added a pic. Smile

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Hi all, new guy here + some VAC questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks just like the '49 I just bought, except, you have the proper intake and exhaust, and lights. I don't!

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hi all, new guy here + some VAC questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you don't already know this, you can look up parts on-line at the official FIAT/dba CIH parts site.
Parts

CTPhil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hi all, new guy here + some VAC questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just a couple of comments, other than more pics would be great!

The fan belt doesn't cross over well to standard belts, you should be able to find one made for VAC's for under $20 online.

Has anyone else seen a VAC with a TSX 225? All I've seen are 114's and 597's. Kits of all descriptions are available online, just takes some digging.

Good luck with your new tractor!

OnTheCase
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi all, new guy here + some VAC questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay, thanks guys, I'll keep digging.

Don Rudolph
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi all, new guy here + some VAC questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to the Case Forum! Very nice VAC you have there, should be a 1950 model, the 5 would be under the screw or rivet that holds the plate on. Sorry I can't help you with your questions as I'm not a VAC expert. Don

kevinthefixer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi all, new guy here + some VAC questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a right handsome machine as it sits, doesn't look like it needs much painting. My go-to parts guy is John Saeli. Not only does he have as good or better a selection of Case parts as anyone, he's extremely knowledgable and goes out of his way to be extremely helpful.

OnTheCase
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi all, new guy here + some VAC questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kevinthefixer wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:18:41 10/10/1Cool That's a right handsome machine as it sits, doesn't look like it needs much painting. My go-to parts guy is John Saeli. Not only does he have as good or better a selection of Case parts as anyone, he's extremely knowledgable and goes out of his way to be extremely helpful.

Thanks @kevinthefixer! I agree, it does look pretty good. But it definitely can be better, so I'm going to tear it down (within reason) and regrease it, touch up the paint, etc. and make sure it starts, runs, and stops properly. It's pretty leaky right now so definitely can use some new seals here and there. Thanks for the pointer to Mr. Saeli - seems like a good vendor.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters