Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 503 rake questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Ford 503 rake questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pulled this thing out of the weeds and would like as much info on it as I can get. Its PTO powered, and 3 point hitch. It has this funny sort of bar across the front that should spin what is it and what does it do?? Serial number is 28T67 or 28167 can't tell for sure if its a T or a 1. Whats the good, bad, or ugly about this rake. Are they any good?? Around when where they made? Etc.
Thakns
Hobby farm

murn ga

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 503 rake questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old, that whirly gig is known as a stripper. It strips the hay from the teeth so it don't throw it over the back. There is no bad to this rake, a very good rake for three point hitch type.If the stripper is not rusted out,then you are good to go. Normal wear items are the teeth,less than 3 bucks for the pair,the bar brgs,the pto brgs and the stripper brgs.HTH

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 503 rake questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks,
At this time the stripper is locked up, probably just from sitting who knows how long and the belt that drives it is broke. I was going to hook it up today but it started raining so all I got done was pulling it out of the weeds with the loader. I figure I'll be pouring a lot of PB blaster and tranny fluid on it in the next few days then hook it up and see if I can get it to work. All the teeth on it are on rubber mounts which I'm not sure is good or bad since it has sat so long I figure they will most likely start brakeing left and right when I start working it
Hobby farm

murn ga

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 503 rake questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep,I would guess time and the sun has done those rubber teeth in. You can replace two rubber teeth with one double steel tooth with the aid of a clip at less than half the price. The stripper brgs are just standard 7/8 self aligning brgs,Fafnir number IIRC is RA014NPPB.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 503 rake questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well it stopped raining so I got it hooked up to a WD45 right now. After a little PB and a hammer the striper bar spins freely. Would you happen to know what the belt number.lenght is for the stripper bar belt is?? That belt is for the most part gone and I guess I'll need to replace it before the rake will work as it should. It will also need tires but thats not a big deal since they look like there the size used on common boat trailors and where I live thats a common tire.
Thanks
Hobby farm

murn ga

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 503 rake questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Ford number was 146620 but I suppose N.H.has changed that. I seem to remember B49 but might take to auto store before it tears up worse.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 503 rake questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't get any worse then it is. At this point theres 2 maybe 3 pieces of it and thats where the problem is. I'm not sure I have all of the pieces of it. I also have to do something with the PTO shaft. Some one cut it off and maybe with an ORC on the tractor PTO it would be long enough but like it is now theres no way it will work.
Hobby farm

Jerry D in NC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 503 rake questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old,

Agri Supply makes a Quick Release extender that adds 4 1/2 inches to the PTO Shaft for about $20

Part Number 11971

shawnspeed3
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 503 rake questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one of those rakes , but the stripper bar is gone .....so what does it look like and how does it drive????I am assuming it drives off the second pully on the drive belt...a few pictures would go a long way .....I am wanting to make a new stripper now that I know I need one . Thanks Shawn

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 503 rake questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Drop me an e-mail and I can send you s few pictures of this one. Maybe then you can figure it out better. The stripper is odd looking its sort of s square box with bent over blades on it. One end is smaller then the other end by maybe an inch or so. Yep it drives off the pulley and the belt then has a twist 90 degrees to the stripper bar
Hobby farm

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 503 rake questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Called the local auto partsstore and had them cross the ford number and they say its a B46 not a B49. Guess you just got the 6 turned up side down. I had a belt on it this morning but it shelled out in less then 2 minutes but it was an old belt that I had laying around and I had it on way to tight
Hobby farm

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.