Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Case 580 CK Rear Main seal leak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike B
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Case 580 CK Rear Main seal leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've an older 580CK, ,maybe mid 70's with manual shuttle shift, the rear Main seal is leaking...engine is a 188, do I need to split the tractor to replace, or can this be done from pulling the pan?

Thanks,

Mike

Jim B
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 580 CK Rear Main seal leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Although we've never rebuilt the bottom end of our 580CK, it seems bullet proof, I can tell you that the RMS is only replaceable from the rear not thru the pan.
The tractor must be split, which is quite a job considering a loader and/or backhoe may be part of the machine.
I've sent you a more informative Email on this subject. Hope it helps.

Richard in france

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 580 CK Rear Main seal leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was wondering if you could help me identify the tractor I recieved recently it has a big CK printed on its front loader forks and a backhoe as you describe in your post. I have uploaded a picture of it to http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/tphotos/a104209.jpg
but I have some other more detailed photos also
Can you help me

Jim B
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 580 CK Rear Main seal leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Certainly looks like a Case 580CK, which stands for: Construction King. Although the earlier 480CK looks alot like the 580. The Model and Serial number tag should be on the side of the instrument panel, I believe the left side. These machines were made for quite a few years and several different versions of the Backhoe and Loader were sold.
The standard Backhoe, a model 33, was quite conventional; optional versions were: an extendable dipper arm (hydraulic or manual), a side-shift boom for digging close to a foundation, as well as several sizes of buckets.
The Loader, also a model 33, had optional bucket designs as well as sizes. As far as I know Case did not offer a version with forks mounted to the loader bucket. Although many machines were modified to mount forks onto the bucket.. sorta' a makeshift (dangerously-dumpable) forklift.

The 580CK also could be bought as a rough-terrain forklift. This tractor had a reversed seating and control position, with a different transmission setup so as to reverse front to rear. The lift mast was a rear mounted 3-stage design with over 20' of lift.

The tractor itself was also available as a farm version with 3-point hitch, PTO, drawbar and different transmission ratios and tires. As a Backhoe/Loader the transmission setup options were: a power (hydraulic) shuttle/reverser with torque converter drive... or a conventional friction clutch with manual shuttle/reverser.

The 580's were available with Gas or Diesel engine. I don't believe cabs were available from Case but I've seen several owner-fitted cabs from other machines installed with variable levels of success.
Owner/Operator, Service, and Parts manuals are usually available over eBay or this Website... checkout the "Marketplace" link at the top left of this page.
Hope you enjoy your Case machine.

Richard in France

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 580 CK Rear Main seal leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow Jim thank you very much!
Your post answers some questions we had about it ie Why it doesnt have a PTO fitted (not the farm version) althought it does have a blanking plate at the back of the gear box! Do you think I could retrofit one (bearing in mind it has a manual shuttle mechanism)?
I have found two stamped plates on each side of the chassis which just (now) have a series of numbers punched into them the ist is at (http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/tphotos/a104284.jpg) and the second at (http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/tphotos/a104285.jpg)
I am desperate to find an owners manual / parts as the main drive cog (sorry not very technical) and the left rear wheel drive cog have teeth sheered off which means it will not go anywhere at the moment! I have looked on ebay and here but they dont seem to do manuals for this model of case Is there anywhere else I could try

Thanks again

Jim B
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 580 CK Rear Main seal leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend adding Farm features to a Construction tractor! The transmission ratios are limited and wrong, the reverser/shuttle is unnecessary and perhaps unable to pull a drawbar load for an extended time. The Loader and Backhoe would certainly need to be removed for field use, too heavy and the weight is mislocated. Tires are wrong tread design. That's why Case made separate versions of the 580. Suggest a second tractor for farm/field use. Just saw a nice Case 830 sell for $1600 at a local auction. If you ever found the parts to add PTO to the CK it would cost you more than that.

I looked at your photos of the ID plates but couldn't read anything ?? Even if readable I don't have a listing of the serial number ranges which ID the exact model.
Well Richard, I just went out and looked at my 580CK and the tractor ID plate is on the right side of the instrument panel, not the left as I guessed last night. It is rectangular (not square like shown in your photos) and 580CK C is stamped above my serial number. Perhaps your photos are from the Loader and the Backhoe, which are accessories and also serialized. Also, 580 Construction King is shown on a 3' long black decal on both sides of the hood, although mine has been painted over.

I've confirmed that Manuals are available on this Website under the "Marketplace" link. Click on "Tractor Manuals" at the upper left, then when you browse for a brand on the next screen... make sure you click Case, not CaseIH. At the next screen, scroll to the bottom and click on "Model List", it quicker than going thru many numerical sequenced pages. Then scroll down to the 580 area, there are several choice of tractor configurations and types of manuals. They aren't cheap, but there available. Most likely would be cheaper on eBay but not always available every day.

Get out that Visa card for the manuals and place a "Wanted" Ad, under the "Classified Ads" link (also at the top left of this page) to hopefully find the needed final drive pinion gear.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters