Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1961 ford 641 Workmaster

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PHIL I

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: 1961 ford 641 Workmaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I,m new to tractor ownership and of very limited mechanical ability,maybe somebody can help me!
Initially my tractor (when cold)will start up and run fine for as long as I want...the problem is after she"s hot if I try to re-start her she wont turn over-eventually flooding(gas pours out of the carb)..(I would have to let her sit overnight before she would start again)...when re-starting a hot engine I don"t use the choke (eventually though i tried it with the choke to no avail)..I used gas to flush out the tank,cleaned the carb,sediment bulb,gas line.(all were filled with rust and sediment)but same thing...I replaced the Marvel-Schebler with a NEW Zenith model 68 carb...now she will will start on demand but runs rough(sometimes back-firing) for only about 5 minutes and then stalls out as if starved for gas..if I wait just a few minutes she will re-start but stalls out again (I cleaned out the new carb in case she picked-up some rust).. ...The new carb comes pre-set about 11/4 turns out i marked this location and tried to adjust the idle needle 3/4 each way..same thing,having no effect at all.....[this carb only has one idle adjustment needle]...The battery cables are new,the battery is good, the spark plug wires look good,I did replace the spark plugs (.26 gap)..I loosened the gas cap (air lock?)...I even tried it with and w/o the air cleaner tube..I only had this tractor a few weeks and prior owners converted to 12volts...after all of this ...same thing she runs rough for 5 minutes and stalls out no matter how I adjust the throttle lever...The one thing I do notice is that just before stalling out the governor seems to move erratically ...DOES ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? THANXS...

Andy Wickiser

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 ford 641 Workmaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might be ignition, try looking at spark when it's acting up. I pull a wire and hook it to a spare spark plug (make sure body is grounded) then crank and observe the spark. Should be blue and snappy. If spark is weak check coil, points,condenser, rotor, cap, wiring. Is coil 12 volt? If 6V coil is still being used a series resistor should be added. Otherwise the coil runs hot and can cause the symptoms you describe. I even saw one blow up once.

Larry J.
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 ford 641 Workmaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Phil
When hot you say it won't turn over
Bat. down starter draging If so. Frist get this corrected.& check timing.to far advance will make it turn over slow when hot.

PHIL I

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 ford 641 Workmaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for the response...the battery checks out at 12+ volts..but i will have to have the timing checked out...

PHIL I

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 ford 641 Workmaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

andy..thanx for the write back..there is a 12volt coil there now, but that along with the various tune-up kit parts look cheap enough so I will order all new parts any way...

trucker40

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 ford 641 Workmaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It sounds like the condensor,might need to clean the points with some emery tape or a piece of sandpaper or a fingernail file,reset the gap, and replace the condensor and try that.Could be the gas has some water in it too,but I dont think it would make it not start if it was hot, it just wouldnt start if it was the gas hot or cold.A coil can give you trouble sometimes like that too,try seeing if its real hot when it acts up.I bet its the points and condensor,try that first.When you set the points gap,if its too tight before you do anything except check it,thats probly whats wrong,as that little plastic thing that rides on the distributor shaft to open the points wears,the points get less clearance untill it will barely run if you dont set them right once in a while.

DON TX
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 ford 641 Workmaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try jumping the key switch. Cheap, easy and eliminates 1 possibility. They get gunked up and create resistance. HTH
DON TX

john_Bud
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 ford 641 Workmaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to check the voltage at the starter when it is cranking. Your symptoms can be due to the battery or ground cable or the connection.

Take off the battery cables and clean them, check for any corrosion. Replace if you see any green funk. That's copper oxide and can form under the cable's plastic cover.

jb

alg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 ford 641 Workmaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Phil, do you get any blowby when its running.A engine with bad compression will be hard starting after it gets warm.Try running a compression check.

PHIL I

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 ford 641 Workmaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanx john bud, I have brand new battery cables and the connection at the terminals are clean..as for the voltage at the starter..the tractor does start right-up but wants to die out(stalls)after running for five minutes..if there was a voltage problem wouldn't it not start at all? ...

PHIL I

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 ford 641 Workmaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanx trucker 40, I ordered the whole points,condensor,distributor cap,,coil etc. parts package a lot of guys on the site are pointing in this direction and i'm going to systematically replace each part for the heck of it...[what would be the proper points gap be?]...should I use the gap size found in the owners manual?...

PHIL I

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 ford 641 Workmaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanx DON TX, please explain, if the switch is bad wouldn't it not start from the get-go?..otherwise the switch itself looks to be relatively new...that is its not the original...

DON TX
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 ford 641 Workmaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some people have had problems with as many as 3 right out of the box. Overseas made may have something to do with it. They can create resistance and rob power to the ignition. Jumping is easy and don't cost nuttin' to try. HTH
DON TX

PHIL I

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 ford 641 Workmaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey DON TX, thanks point well taken...now for someone like myself with very,very limited mechanical ability what is the proper procedure to jump this out?..

hlewellyn

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 ford 641 Workmaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make sure you have a good gas filter and hose. My 640 had so much rust and gunk in the gas tank that I had to relace the tank. Older rubber gas lines will tear inside and clog themselves up also.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.