Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Pressure washers, Gas engine/ or electric?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midwest redneck
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Pressure washers, Gas engine/ or electric? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have wanted a pressure washer for a while now but......Should I get the Electric 1.5 HP for or the gas 6HP. The gas one is about $100 more but, I dont like the fact of another engine to take care of. The electric one is 120VAC 15amp. Do the electic ones work or are they junk, the one I am looking at is at Northern tool, Leeson motor made in the USA. If you have an electic one chime in here, thanks.

Charles (in GA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure washers, Gas engine/ or electric? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

GAS

Charles

TED In NE OH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure washers, Gas engine/ or electric? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't like to mix electric and water.

suptscottyb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure washers, Gas engine/ or electric? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

GAS GAS GAS!
In my opinion this is not a job for an electric motor. Also pay close attention to PSI when evaluating a potential purchase. 6 horse would be a minimum, probably produce 23-2500psi. 7 or 8 hp would be better and produce 2800-3000psi. Also, ask around to learn which manufactorer makes the most reliable pumps.
The pain of disapointment outlasts the joy of a low price....

RobMD

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure washers, Gas engine/ or electric? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a beautiful Dewalt (I KNOW they didn't make it, excell did!) 6.5 hp 2800 psi presure washer. The best part about this thing is the fact that it has a CAT pump on it, which is the best pump on the market.

Readily available at home depot for $629.00-ish??

SCREW electric with their stupid extension cords.

Glenn FitzGerald

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure washers, Gas engine/ or electric? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It all depends what you plan on doing with the unit. If you will be doing stationary jobs, I'd buy an electric. I have a 10 hp. Baldor electric on a 3000+ psi 4gpm General pump. I contract cleaning on the side. It would not be hard to burn $15-$20 gas/day. Also, I like the simplicity of the electric motor setup. You do have to watch it though; most pressure washers are set at redline. If you run them for long hours and they will NOT hold up. Many pumps like mine are set up with a 7.5hp electric motor but I personally know of many of them that burned up. My 10hp Baldor will run smooth, cool, and steady around the clock for years. I used to take a little ribbing with my big/heavy ten horse. All of my critics change their tune when they toast their 7.5s. They now agree the ten horse is the way to go, but they're not cheap.

Also, I am not that enamored with Cat pumps. They are overpriced, parts are expensive, and the company is stinky at standing by their warrenty. They WILL find a way to weasel out.

I have owned/operated a pressure washer for 18 years.

Glenn FitzGerald

Doug in IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure washers, Gas engine/ or electric? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would never even consider an electric pressure washer. I know of a 22 year old farm hand who was electrocuted while using one. He was his families only child.

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure washers, Gas engine/ or electric? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Electric ones that run on 110v are toys. You can only get so much water through a pump powered by an electric motor that"s rated at 10 to 15 amps. Serious power washers need 5hp gasoline or more. Read up on the specs on various machines and you"ll see what I mean!

msb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure washers, Gas engine/ or electric? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless you are going to use it a LOT more than most people do, go with the gas engine powered one.Gas engines on power washers rarely ever get worn out and they are a LOT more portable.Even mky old B&S starts easy, but the next one probably will be Honda powered.

LenND
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure washers, Gas engine/ or electric? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a El Cheapo I use for washing my garage floor and afew other small jobs and it has worked fine for four or five years. If I was going to do more I would get a gas. As far as getting electricuted I disagree. If you got electricity to your body while using the washer it meant that you did something wrong not the machine. Maybe like not having a ground fault plug in is like asking for it with any tool - water or not.

KEB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure washers, Gas engine/ or electric? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had both...don't even bother to look at an electric one. There's a huge difference between even a bottom line gas one and an electric.

Keith

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure washers, Gas engine/ or electric? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a small 1000 psi electric that is permanently plumbed,and well grounded, inside the shop, that works very well for quick small cleanups. It has been trouble free for many years, but for a portable one, gas is the way to go. There are no cords to mess with and most of all, it can't electrocute you.Jim

Scott.ID
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure washers, Gas engine/ or electric? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had my 6.5 HP Honda powered Generac (costco) for 5 years now and it's still going strong. I did freeze the pump off of it 2 years ago, but picked up a Giant pump for about 75 bucks and haven't looked back.

I don't mix watts and water.

Scott

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure washers, Gas engine/ or electric? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The gasser will walk all over the electric in both pressure & volume. That's two items you can't get enough of.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pressure washers, Gas engine/ or electric? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Who needs another gas engine to keep running ? Not me !

I bought a Hotsy brand years ago and it works great ! I got the largest one that still runs on 110 Volts. You have to be careful as it can ruin stuff if set on 0 degree nozzle. The cleaning power of hot water is hard to beat. You can even clean in below freezing weather.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters