Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Need 16” chainsaw recommendation

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Bob

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Need 16” chainsaw recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Poulan "Wild Thing" had starting and idling problems until i had a friend of mine who used to be certified as a Poulan technician "tweak" the carb a little bit. This, along with replacing the Champion plug with Autolite made this a whole different saw. Starts good; idles good, and cuts like a "srtipped azzed ape".

Farmall Joe
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 16” chainsaw recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

shindaiwa (japanese i know) 357 top handle, its real small but super lite power ful for size and extreamly comfortable to use. if you want to cut down big trees go w/ husky (xp the best) there the farmall of chainsaws, underrated but will kick the crap out of a john deere

amo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 16” chainsaw recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hussqvarna is one of the best and fastest cutting saws i have ever seen or used.

redtom

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 16” chainsaw recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Every body has their favorites. Take the plastic covers off a new Husqvarna and you'll se its a poulan. They were good years ago but now are cheap. Thats why every store, Lowes,TSC etc carries them. The high end pro models probably aren't that way but they're also much more expensive. I still like my old Stihl 028's and would but a new Stihl. I was told they're one of the only ones that actually still make their own saw.

farmer boy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 16” chainsaw recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Their not all that overrated. You can't push the little consumer saws made by poulan and such companies. You pay what you get for and you pay alot for the Stihl. We have 2 of them, 038 MAGNUM and MS250. The one is 20 some years old with hundreds of hours on it and it has only had a handle and gas tank replaced because of an undertemined cause. I recently backed onto it with the tractor right up to the top handle(had to back over the lower handle to get to the top handle) and bent it very slightly out of alignment but nothing bad enough to stop it from running. The other one is 2 years old and still running strong without a single problem except it stopped running but started back up without a problem.Jonsered saws also run good but I'm not sure about longetivity and reliability. I've seen a husqvarna 257? running and that thing was deafning. Was 10-15 ft away from it and had trouble hearing after that. Can't imagine being the operator!

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 16” chainsaw recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My P/pro was a little finecky to start / idle.. however I found that once i used a different oil than their first oil mix bottle, that it was as you say.. a "r@ped ape".

That fist little bottle of oil mix they give you must be absolute CR@P..

Soundguy

suptscottyb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need 16” chainsaw recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay. The opinions are in. Now tell us what you decided to buy and why...Thanxs!

JT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Need 16” chainsaw recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Farmer Boy,
I can tell by your comments that you do not wrk on them for a living as I do, you are an end user the 038 and 028 are by far the best chain saws Stihl has ever built, take care of it, you have a real saw. The MS250, in 5 years, unless it is a limbing saw with minumal use, you will not be so boastful of after you use it for a while and have to pay to get the fuel lines repalced a couple of times.
Jim

Bob - MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Need 16” chainsaw recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some time ago there was a survey on the site about saws. As I recall Stihl was the top rated with the usual Echo and Husky choices close thereafter.

I only use a saw occasionally and I can"t give a serious suggestion because I get by nicely for over 10 years with a 16" McCulloch for light duty and a 20" Poulan Pro for bigger stuff. The Poulan has been real sensitive to fuel age and loses power if the gas is getting old. I switched to synthetic oil and I keep the gas fresh and it does fine for my needs. I realize that many will say these saws are junk and they may well be right.

I bought the Poulan Pro for $220.00 with a case @ Lowes about 7 years ago. I was also looking at Husky"s but realized that they are the same company now and figured if I got a higher grade Poulan that I may be getting close to the Husqvarna. I have never been sure about that one however. If you are leaning towards Husqvarna check out Jack"s Small Engines. They usually have some good deals.

Best of luck on whatever you choose.
Jacks Small Engines

Jerry Eime
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 16” chainsaw recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My parents own a small engine repair shop for over 25 years now and we have sold Dolmar, Redmax and Husqvarna. The only parts we have to stock for the Dolmar are spark plugs, air filters, and shock grommets. Never have we had to do a major warrenty for any engine problem, beside an oil injector leak on the 540. The Redmax is a true performer. They are a joint company that was United States and Japan but now Husqvarna bought them out because they have such great technology. And to clear up the Husqvarna issue, they only produce two saws that are made by Polan. The 137 and 142. All the rest are made in Sweeden. We have sold alot of those saws and have had no complaints. But we work on stills all day long and since we aren't a still dealer, if we can't get parts aftermarket, they are way overpriced and have come to the model of quanty over quality. If you want a saw that can take the abouse then Dolmar, Redmax or Husqvarna or even Echo. Stay away from poluns, craftsmens, and stills. Waste of money!!!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters