Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ether / Diesel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
my 801
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Ether / Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heard some guys say a diesel gets addictive to it.
I know of one farmer that fired a fellow on the
spot when he saw him use it! What do you guys
think?

Brian Bell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ether / Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is definitely VERY VERY VERY hard on the rings.

john_Bud
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ether / Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is addictive as the rings are less and less able to hold pressure as it is abused (Note, I said abused and not just used). Diesels need compression to fire so less sealing means more leakage and lower compression. That means harder starting and the can of ring death is used again and again.

As Nancy Reagan said, "just say no!"

jb

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ether / Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If used properly ether is a good tool. Otherwise ir's very dangerous.

chevdud97

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ether / Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it has glow plugs, its very dangerous. I had someone in my shop do it to a 2000 new holland TC35 and it blew a hole in the side of the block. Yep, i fired him. Some of the old dump trucks had a system on them from the factory that you put a either can in it and when you needed it push a button then fire them up.

Allan in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ether / Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The first sign of weak or low compression in a diesel is hard starting.

Folks at that point will start using the either to get 'em going and "misinterpret” the actual and worsening malady as somehow being induced by the either itself.

Wrong.

Millions upon millions of tractors came equipped new from the factory with either-assist and still do to this day, running thousands upon thousands of hours while being started on either in the wintertime.

Yes, in the wrong hands, it can cause damage.

Allan

sotxbill
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ether / Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if its so worn out that you have to use ether to start it on warm days.. then yes.. its addicted..

otherwise if used correctly, nope.. saves wear and tear on the engine, starter and battery.

the ether explosion is very fast,, the diesel is very slow and more violent. so unless you over spray, its simply a wivestale.. if you hydrolock it, its not good. so why haveing a low flash point, its btu and impact to the piston and rings is less than diesel..

if its a japanese engine with 20 to 1 compression then it fires much to soon and will make the engine try to run backwards...

if there are glow plugs it will fire off of them no different that diesel fires off of glow plugs in side of the head so again the rumour is just a rumour... but a fire in the intake manifold due to a "manifold" heater is not desireable with some of the rubber hoses and intake systems..

as said either injectors actually are shipped on many diesels as a extreame cold starting aid, has been for years with no damage..

stupid kids have also been "shipped" for years and can pretty much screw up anything if given the chance...

sotxbill
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ether / Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if its so worn out that you have to use ether to start it on warm days.. then yes.. its addicted..

otherwise if used correctly, nope.. saves wear and tear on the engine, starter and battery.

the ether explosion is very fast,, the diesel is very slow and more violent. so unless you over spray, its simply a wivestale.. if you hydrolock it, its not good. so why haveing a low flash point, its btu and impact to the piston and rings is less than diesel..

if its a japanese engine with 20 to 1 compression then it fires much to soon and will make the engine try to run backwards...

if there are glow plugs it will fire off of them no different that diesel fires off of glow plugs in side of the head so again the rumour is just a rumour... but a fire in the intake manifold due to a "manifold" heater is not desireable with some of the rubber hoses and intake systems..

as said either injectors actually are shipped on many diesels as a extreame cold starting aid, has been for years with no damage..

stupid kids have also been "shipped" for years and can pretty much screw up anything if given the chance...

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ether / Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think larry pt it best.

correct use is fine.. overuse is detrimental.

soundguy

trucker40
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ether / Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ether can be hard on stuff,but I dont think its addicted to it.If you use too much it can damage head bolts,its not good to lock up a motor,it might hurt other stuff,but it will help a diesel start.Sometimes people just use it wrong.Maybe when they think its addicted to ether its something thats wrong and not the ether.

Texasmark
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ether / Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with a lot of the replies in that engine compression being low one would expect to have to resort to ether in mild climates, where you might expect to have to use it in cold climates.

My experience with the problem was a 3000D I bought in the spring, nice balmy day and the salesman had to "give it a squirt" to get her going. I was naive an didn't know why he had to use a starting aid at that temperature. I know now!

After trying numerous other things, including a new 5" starter (mine had a 4" and they were for gas tractors and slow spin-up is a possible problem too) I finally did a complete overhaul.

While I was at it I fixed the "thermostart" and haven't had any problems since.

Mark

LenND
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ether / Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 900B Case that came with an ether injector for a capsule type and was told never to use more than one at a time. We had the same setup in GMC road tractors where I worked and if they didn't start on one it was time to start pulling.

Mathias NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ether / Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been told by a few people now to use Silicone spray instead of Ether. The silicone will provide librication for the cylinder walls. The Ether actually increases friction by washing away any oil that is present. The propellant for the Silicone is also combustable.

This probably wouldn't work for engines with Ether injection, but might be an alternative for people spraying manually.

Texasmark
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ether / Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just read my reply (couple of days later) and it doesn't make a lot of sense in answering the initial question.

I don't believe what I too had heard about addiction. The problem is low compression caused by a worn out engine and the longer it runs the more worn out it becomes, hence the more ether required to start it.

The ether I buy comes labeled as Starting Fluid, for gas or diesel engines and is said to contain a lubricant for engine protection.

However, it doesn't say that it is appropriate for starting a 2 cycle engine; like some boat owners use.

Mark

Colorado-Ford3230
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ether / Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am far from being a mechanic, but I start my 3230 in Colorado in below zero temperatures quite frequently in order to plow out my driveway. I use a $15 heater in my radiator fluid line. The downside is it needs to heat for at least 3 hours. I also dropped in a new (much stronger) battery and replaced my battery cables. Never used ether (and wouldn"t know how to either).

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.