Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

homemade rock picker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: homemade rock picker Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i need to fab up a small rock picker for my jubilee, it will be used to remove the small stones [1 to 3 inches] that alsays seem to pop up in my roping arena and excersise track, my idea is to use a old 3 point dirt scoup that i picked out of the junk pile at the gravel pit i haul for, i dont need it as i have a larger tractor with a loader on it,so im think of cutting out the floor and partialy up the back of the scoup, leaving the cutting edge and about 3 or 4 inches of material on the front for strength, then welding in a section of 3/4 inch screen out of the rock crusher at the pit, this stuff is stong, have any of you tried this? or what are you using to remove rocks and leave the dirt behind, the idea to use the dirt scoup i hope will allow me to pull it through the dirt about a inch or so deep and let the dirt sift out, then i will be able to use the dump feature on the scoup to dump the rocks collected in a pile somewhere outside the horse areas, input would be appreciated

GRAY WHISKERS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: homemade rock picker Reply to specific post Reply with quote

York rake works great

Jimmyjack

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: homemade rock picker Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They really arent very wide and 3/4 seems awful fine to me. Might work, I agree the rakes are used by people on lawns all the time.

heybusdriver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: homemade rock picker Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea, I have so many rocks I would only go probably 5 to 6 feet and have to dump.
Thanks for the idea , I'm going to keep my eye open for a old scoop or box blade.
Stan
8N179555
8N362039
Vancouver Canada, home of the 2010 winter Olympics
every-one welcome.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: homemade rock picker Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i tried the rake first i have a new one of those as well as a 12 foot harrow, which is made out of 90 lb railroad track with a 6 inch spike welded on it every inch and a half in 2 alternating rows, but both wont catch the rocks they winrow it out the sides or just roll them under then they pop up again when the horses get going, they really pound on the horses when they rope cattle and also when they run barrels in there we had 1 lame up last year from a small rock hit to its frog on its forleg, im hoping to fab up something that will 'catch' the rocks now, will let you know how it does

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: homemade rock picker Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ericlb wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:09:17 02/10/0Cool i need to fab up a small rock picker for my jubilee, it will be used to remove the small stones [1 to 3 inches] that alsays seem to pop up in my roping arena and excersise track, my idea is to use a old 3 point dirt scoup that i picked out of the junk pile at the gravel pit i haul for, i dont need it as i have a larger tractor with a loader on it,so im think of cutting out the floor and partialy up the back of the scoup, leaving the cutting edge and about 3 or 4 inches of material on the front for strength, then welding in a section of 3/4 inch screen out of the rock crusher at the pit, this stuff is stong, have any of you tried this? or what are you using to remove rocks and leave the dirt behind, the idea to use the dirt scoup i hope will allow me to pull it through the dirt about a inch or so deep and let the dirt sift out, then i will be able to use the dump feature on the scoup to dump the rocks collected in a pile somewhere outside the horse areas, input would be appreciated

If you don't have anything but time on your hands, you can give it your best shot, but if not immediately, certainly after the first few rocks, you will be collecting more sand than rocks. It won't sift, just pile up in screen bottomed bucket.
jmo

jon
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: homemade rock picker Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
If you don't have anything but time on your hands, you can give it your best shot, but if not immediately, certainly after the first few rocks, you will be collecting more sand than rocks. It won't sift, just pile up in screen bottomed bucket.
jmo

I'd say you're right, he's gonna have to have some type of "shaking" mechanism to make the sand fall through. If it were that simple the screens at the quarry would be stationary.
It's possible to rig something up off the pto or even add a small tiller type engine off to the side to power it. I've thought about building something like this for a while now only on a little larger scale. It should be doable.

GRAY WHISKERS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: homemade rock picker Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats what the rake is suppose to do. Windrow them then you scoop them up with your bucket. You have to spend half a day to get most of them. Good luck.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.