Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MF135 MF150 transmission and ground speed PTO ratios

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin Boulianne
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: MF135 MF150 transmission and ground speed PTO ratios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am looking for the exact ratio for those tractors transmission. In fact, I want to compute the PTO shaft speed reduction for a PTO driven trailer. I found that the PTO make 1 turn per 19"-20" tractor displacement but this kind of information rely on the dimensions of the rear tire so it is not very useful
Untitled URL Link

Gerald J.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: MF135 MF150 transmission and ground speed PTO ratios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Revolutions per ground movement is about as good as it gets. The ground speed PTO is driven after the transmission so the things that affect it are the ring and pinion final drive and any planetary on the axles if there on the 150. And the tires.

My MF135 owner's manual says "one revolution of the shaft for approximately each twenty inches of forward travel"

The parts book doesn't show those axle gear ratios either.

You can measure the ratios by jacking up both rear wheels, maybe locking the differential and turning wheel or PTO shaft and observing the other. The more turns you make of the slow shaft, the better the potential accuracy of the ratio.

Gerald J.

phil25

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: MF135 MF150 transmission and ground speed PTO ratios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

just a note to add here: In the past projects, i mark the top of the tire, when viewed from the seat] and the bottom sidewall at ground contact[ directly opposite each other] with whatever works, and drive slowly ahead and stopping exactly when the same tire mark is on top again. Lock the brakes and measure from point of starting to point of stopping. This gives distance of travel, same time a buddy counts the exact full turns and part turns of the PTO in ground speed selection. Now you know the required number of input turns of the trailor driveshaft to make it moves the same distance of the tractor during one revolution. re-sizing the trailor tires or a tranmission between the two gives choices that will match up.
A lot of masseys[ most] will match with normal 5 ton truck gear[ ruxels/tires size] be sure to turn the rear end over to get the right direction of travel[ if need be]Smile saw one built and broke[ seperated itself] because of that.
Also at times the addational tractor tire size increases becasue of chains and could throw off the measuremet a bit, do it without chains on, i have never had any issue afterwards because of chains being used, has alsways been enough slippage to allow use of them.
hope it help[ed]

Robin Boulianne
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: MF135 MF150 transmission and ground speed PTO ratios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A friend of mine did the following experience with its MF35 1963. He lift the left rear wheel off the ground and turned it one turn. In the same time, he have computed the nuber of turn done by the PTO shaft. He got 3.5416 turns on the PTO per wheel turn or a ratio of 3.5416.

The question now is to use it as is, to multiply it by 2 or to divide it by 2 to compensate the effect of the differential. Do you have a clue?

The other point is to know if it is the same ratio on the MF150.

Gerald J.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: MF135 MF150 transmission and ground speed PTO ratios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The single wheel in the air turns twice as fast as it would if the differential was locked. So the ratio would be 7:1 between the PTO shaft and the axle. Works out from the tire size too. 14.9-24 should be close to 140 inches in circumference, divide that by 20 gets 7. Tire book would give a closer answer but it will depend on the tire, the tire wear, and the tire air pressure.

I have no idea if the 150 and the 135 have the same ratio. I doubt all 135 have the same ratio, because some have planeteries on the axles (orchard), and most don't. I don't have any information on the 150 at all.

Gerald J.

Robin Boulianne
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: MF135 MF150 transmission and ground speed PTO ratios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This means that the tractor goes 10.1 MPH when the PTO runs at 545 RPM.

It seams to me far away from what I can find on my 8N where I got 3.626 MPH with transmission in second speed with the same 545 RPM PTO speed.

The conclusion is that ground speed PTO does fit higher transmission speeds on a MF135 / MF150.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.