Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oliver 550

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hauling Earth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been writing in here about my 550 diesel. After ordering some parts today, I found out my Oliver 550 diesel is really a 1955 Super 55 diesel with a 550 hood. You would have thought. Left me scratching my head. I wanted a super 55 too. Looks like I got it. Now, anyone know where I can find a hood and grill assemblies for a 55, please let me know. I will be selling or trading this 550 hood and grill. Thanks for everyones help.

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm afraid there are all sorts of amalgamations out there- I have a 550, but bought a power steering outfit in a salvage yard off a Super 55. I couldn't get the steering wheels off either the S55 or my 550 (so I could change over the dash sheet metal) without destroying them- so ended up just putting the S55 dash on my 550. I really prefer that, as I have individual guages rather than idiot lights. However, it is a bit of a head-scratcher when people look at it.

I wish I had saved the 550 pieces so I could change back, but the salvage guy wanted "exchange". Ironic thing is, he signed the operation over to his kids shortly thereafter, and they promptly quit the salvage business, and went into a wildly profitable Kubota dealership (I think they got a trophy awhile back for selling more tractors than anyone in the solar system). I'm sure my exchange pieces ended up in the dumpster.

J Schwiebert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I am not thinking too clear here. Why don't you post your serial number and also contact the museum and see when it was built and how it waw equipped . J.

super 55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AB, that's a good way of listing those venders. Thanks. I have used most of them.

ytr1903
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AB,

Thanks so much for putting together that list of vendors. I have made a copy of it and it will be hung up in a very prominent place in my shop.

Tom

Hauling Earth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The way I found this out was, I called Korves Bros to order a wiring harness and they determined through features and SN that it is a super 55. I wonder sometimes how I get into these things. I guess its the love of restoring and working on old equipment Smile

Chief 83

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kent Gordon will likely have what you need. I've purchased several items from him. He's very responsive and gets the parts out quickly.

blank
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

whats the head bolt torque specs on a oliver 550.heads, main and flywheel

Matt Kane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its easy to get the shifter rails out of alignment when putting the tractor back together. Make sure when the cover is off, that you find neutral and line up the rails. If done properly you should be able to get it right into the gears, if not, you may have bent rails, or a bent shifter. Its not to bad of a job, but is alot easier when in neutral when putting the cover back on.

oscar80
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should the rails be able to be rotated back into place or do I need to pull the hydraulic section off to access it?

Dave

Matt Kane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never had any luck without removing the cover. Its pretty simple to remove it. Maybe someone could chime in with any tips. I would probably remove it though and check things. If you do I would check the hydraulic system with the leather o-ring and backup washer on the lift cylinder. That way you get that out of the way while you have that cover off.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.