Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Massey 165 loader /hydraulics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. K.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Massey 165 loader /hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just bought a 165 w/loader two weekends ago and need some help understanding the hydraulics and how everything should work.
---When I raise and lower the loader(using the loader control valves,draft control in constant pumping) the back three point arms move? should this happen or should they work independently of each other?
---I tried hooking up a set of 3pt--3b plows this weekend-to my understanding the draft control should then be moved to transport and I should be able to raise and lower the plows with the other draft lever--but I cannot the only way I can raise and lower the plows is with the loader control valve?
---Also the plows would not stay up when raised. I think this may be because I may be a little low(right now I am right below the low mark on dipstick) on transmission/hydraulic fluid. However when I take the fill plug off (fill plug according to the operator's manual) the oil level is right to the top, and I cannot put anymore in??????? Have no idea what the deal is here-totally confused? I did not know if the loader set-up has anything to do with this??? Or possibly if there is a vent or something that is plugged or needs cleaned/loosended?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

DavidP, South Wales

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 165 loader /hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PANIC PANIC PANIC!!!!
If you are removing the filler plug next to the main gearlever and the casing is full, you MUST drain it IMMEDIATELY. The reason for this is that with this head of oil it is very likely that oil will pass the seal and go forward into the clutch housing.
If the gearbox is full and the rear casing is 'empty' then something is preventing the oil running and finding its level in the two cases. There are holes of approximately one inch square at the rear of the gearbox to allow the oil to flow. Is there any evidence that someone has seperated the gearbox and rear centre casing? Just thinking that a 'home made' gasket may be blocking the through holes.
The correct method of operation for the hydraulics as follows;
On a standard tractor with no hydraulics the 3-pt is operated by the POSITION CONTROL lever to the selected height. When the 3-pt is fully raised the hydraulic pump is moved to the neutral position and stops pumping. If you select 'halfway' the same happens. If you wish to use a loader or tip a trailer you will need the appropriate 'T' bar to hold the 3-pt just below full lift. This tells the pump to keep pumping and supply oil to wherever its needed.
Most tractors will have had an isolating valve fitted at some time to the point just under the seat on the RHS. This valve will have at least two positions. One, 'INTERNAL' allows the operation of the 3-pt in the normal way. The second, 'EXTERNAL' diverts oil to tip the trailer or operate a loader for example. If the loader does not have its own lever control valve you will then operate the loader with the quadrant levers, Position Control in Constant Pumping and Draft lever up or down. If this is your set-up you should have a tap in the line to lock the loader up.
PLease come back is you need any more help.
DavidP, South Wales

R.K

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 165 loader /hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

---Well thanks for your help. I feel real dumb Now... I was taking out the wrong plug. Do not know how I missed the real huge one that was the right one. But there is another plug further back closer to under the seat? Can you tell me what this goes too? On my old case tractor this is about the same position where the oil went. Which is probably why I goofed up.
---Thanks for the information about operating the hydraulics, Haven't got a chance to try them yet.
--Also On the very underside of the tractor in front of the front drain hole for the transmission oil there is a hole with what appears a cotter pin is sticking out, Can you tell me what this is for? I know I am loosing some oil out of this hole. Thanks once again.

DavidP, South Wales

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 165 loader /hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,
Know the plug you mean. I do not know what it is intended for. Have not seen one used in 33 years with MF's.
The split pin is used as it will not block as easily as a hole. By turning the split pin from time time it will allow any oil above to seep out.
Is the oil black or clear? It is not uncommon to loose a little here but should be investigated if it becomes a nuisance.
DavidP, South Wales

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.