Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

massey 165 hydraulic strainer problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck usny
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: massey 165 hydraulic strainer problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got the pto assembly bolts out as the manual states ,it wiggled out approx an inch but I cant go either way with it now ,At this point I would be happy just to get it back together although my goal was to clean the strainer which probably hasnt been done on this tractor since its birth in '74'.do I take the handle off too?i've tried it both ways as the book is lacking the real "how to ". howmuch is trying to come out of there?

DavidP, South Wales

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: massey 165 hydraulic strainer problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,
To help you here a little more info on the tractor is needed. I'm guessing that your tractor is an Independant PTO type and that you have removed the bolts around the side cover on the left hand side of the tractor but are unable to get the cover back in place. Would I be correct?

If this is the case the reason why it will not fit is that there is a locating peg in the cover that engages with the IPTO unit. The unit will move and may prevent refitting.

If your tractor is a mechanical type PTO then the filter can be removed through the LH cover or through a triangular plate on the underside of the centre casing. Tricky, but not too difficult. If it is an IPTO tractor then it will be necessary to split the tractor between the centre casing and gearbox in order to gain access.
Let us know what you have.
Cheers
DavidP, South Wales

chuck usny
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: massey 165 hydraulic strainer problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a 1974 massey ferguson 165 diesel ,Its a manual pto ,the lever is on the outside of the cover the book tells me; to remove ,pull out assembly ,reach in and turn wing nut and pull out strainer screen. however I cant remove the assembly something is still attached somewhere.

chuck usny
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: massey 165 hydraulic strainer problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay it may be a Ipto I guess, whats the differece ,I'm not understanding when you say manual you dont mean ....... a manual lever do you? okay so I'm slow.......I really need to know what may still be holding it in. is it a pull and turn or a pull and disconnect the thingamabob next the whichamajigger. I'm stressed out .Thanks David

Bob N.Y.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: massey 165 hydraulic strainer problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Live PTO = 2 stage clutch. You depress the clutch pedal half way to stop the ground travel without stopping the PTO. Depress the pedal all the way to stop the PTO also. Independant PTO is engaged by a hydraulic clutch that controlled by the lever by your left heel. The foot clutch has no effect at all on IPTO.

chuck usny
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: massey 165 hydraulic strainer problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh alright,2 stage clutch so I have a manual.hi Bob,any ideas whats holding this unit from coming out so I can clean the screen?where in Ny,I could use an extra set of hands......hahaha

chuck usny
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: massey 165 hydraulic strainer problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The books says to just pull it out ,but Its hung up or still attached, is there a place to go to see what the inside of this might look like?

DavidP, South Wales

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: massey 165 hydraulic strainer problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello again,
Just to confirm, do you have to press the clutch pedal to engage the PTO or not?
If not you have a mechanical PTO. When the cover is off you can see the upturned cup that covers the filter. There should be a locking wire normally to the back plate of the pump. Cut the wire. You will find it easier if you have a small pair of pliers to grip the plate on top of the cup. Although it is only an O ring that holds it it can be uncomfortably tight and painful to undo by hand. When you have removed the cup and strainer there is a second cup with the O ring underneath it.
If you have an IPTO tractor you will need to undo the IPTO pressure test point before you can remove the cover and also any pipework that may be fitted for the aux hydraulics.
Cheers
DavidP, South Wales.

Bob N.Y.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: massey 165 hydraulic strainer problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am in Herkimer County, north of the Thruway. Wher are you?

chuck usny
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: massey 165 hydraulic strainer problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

30 mins south of cortland

Bob N.Y.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: massey 165 hydraulic strainer problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is about 3 hours from here to Ithaca. It would be the same to where you are.

chuck usny
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: massey 165 hydraulic strainer problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

okay ,I've borrowed a manual that explains a little more ,which inturn has me scared .I now am unsure what it is (Ipto) I only had this 1 year and have never needed the pto so I dont know how it works. it has a bucket and thats all I've used it for.the little bit i have this cover pulled out I see a small line attached. now my issue is the mf manual contradicts itself. it says to to remove the top cover under the seat I need to go into the response cover and reach in and spead the forks and take out roller, then in the response lever directions it says I 1st need to remove the top cover .which is it?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.