Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hydraulic or 90 wt. oil in Ford 601 Workmaster???

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Alfred
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic or 90 wt. oil in Ford 601 Workmaster??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just bought a 601 Workmaster .... Lift is a little jerky and it is low on fluid. Can someone tell me if it uses 90 weight oil like the 8 and 9n's or Hydraulic fluid????

Thanks

John Ia

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic or 90 wt. oil in Ford 601 Workmaster??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hydraulic fluid, defintly not 90 weight. I use a universal trans /hydraulic fluid in my tractors runs around $25 for a 2 1/2 gallon jug. John

9n141
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic or 90 wt. oil in Ford 601 Workmaster??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

134 hyd oil, N.B. the trans, rear end and hyd. are 3 sep chambers. The centre one is hyd.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic or 90 wt. oil in Ford 601 Workmaster??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

8N 9N 2N never used 90 weight anywhere except for the steering box.
Use Ford/New Holland 134 D or a universal transhydraulic fluid rated for 134D.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic or 90 wt. oil in Ford 601 Workmaster??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New Holland 134.

By the way, it's a good idea to use 134 in the transmission and differential as well. In theory, gear oil from those reservoirs can get past the seals and contaminate the hydraulic fluid. Also, 134 in the trans will make cold weather shifting a little smoother.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic or 90 wt. oil in Ford 601 Workmaster??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ditto what the others say.. UTF or hyd fluid will work in the hyds section on the 601.. however I like to use UTF.. easier to just keep one type of oil.. and if it gets into a gearbox on purpose or accidentally.. it will be ok for the gears.. vs plain hyd oil which is not spec'ed as a gear lube..

soundguy

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic or 90 wt. oil in Ford 601 Workmaster??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not so sure about that. Page 3 from the original 9n/2n owners manual has a lubrication chart. It specifically calls for 90wt oil for the transmission, hyd mechanism, rear axle and belt pulley, for winter and summer use.

soundguy

Ice cold
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic or 90 wt. oil in Ford 601 Workmaster??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hey how about a 63 4000D 4 banger? the operators man says use gear lube in the trans and diff and hyd fluid for the hyd system. Can I get away with the this UTF? (what exactly is it?) stuff for all considering the two seals around the PTO shaft?

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic or 90 wt. oil in Ford 601 Workmaster??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your 4 cylinder 4000 is for all intents and purposes a hundred series tractor. The manual says to use gear oil in the trans and diff, but if you talk to a New Holland dealer they'll tell you to use 134 for everything except the crankcase. There are a bunch of companies that sell "Universal" fluid, which is basically a light oil with some additives so you can use in the trans and diff. As long as it conforms to the New Holland spec, you should be good to go.

Tony Jacobs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic or 90 wt. oil in Ford 601 Workmaster??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Ultradog , Hate to tell you but you are ABSOLUTELY WRONG better get you Ford Books out . SOUNDGUY is Correct . Ford ONLY USED M-4864-A FORD TRACTOR HYDRAULIC OIL - MILD E.P. S.A.E. 80 ( WINTER BLEND MINERAL OIL ) and M-4864-B FORD TRACTOR HYDRAULIC OIL - MILD E.P. S.A.E. 90 ( SUMMER BLEND MINERAL OIL ) from 1939-1965 9N, 2N, 8N, NAA, 600, 700, 800, 900, 601, 701 801, 901, 2000, and 4000 in the transmissions, rear ends and hydraulic systems. Most all oil suppliers still carry it today , but was phased out of most all tractors by the 70's , but is also a noticable improvement on older tractors with wear on them . You guys all are forgetting the machining tolerances from the 50's and the 60's are not as tight as they are today and that is why everything used thicker oils , since they are not used 7 days a week or 10-12 hours a day you probably will not hurt then any more than they all ready are as far as wear goes but you would be better off running what they are suppose to have in them not what is easiest and cheapest to get . Grease and oil is CHEAP compared to rebuilds of components . Just stating the facts from Ford . Thanks Tony Jacobs

36 coupe

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic or 90 wt. oil in Ford 601 Workmaster??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

134D will give plenty of trouble in the 600 series with worn pumps.134 is a lot like atf oil and thins badly when hot resulting in a loss of lifting power in hot weather.The ring and pinion gears in the 9n were borrowed fom the 30 Ford ton and a half Ford truck.These gears called for an extreme pressure gear lube not a water thin atf.I have 90 ep in the differential of my 640 and 134 in the hydraulic and transmission.I can lift 12 foot ash logs on my carry all in cold weather.On a hot summer day 200 lb is the limit.I have brought in many ash logs from field edges in cold weather.Rather than spend 400.00 for repair parts for the vane pump Ill change the hydraulic fluid to a 40w manual transmission oil.134 is not suitable for older tractors with worn pumps.There is much bum information posted on this site by people who have no personal experience with a subject, just repeating something they have heard.If you look back You will find that ford motor co never recomended 134 fluid.This came from later owners who took the Ford name off the tractors.

36 coupe

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic or 90 wt. oil in Ford 601 Workmaster??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just found my notes on using Kendall Ken- Tran 080 mild ep manual transmission oil in the hydraulic systems.It has the visconsity of 40 to 50 wt engine oil.Ill be going out for supplies and will get some Ken Tran oil.New Holland and Case New Holland didnt want to keep your old tractors working.Their main purpose was to sell you a new import tractor at 20 to 30 grand.I worked for a JD dealer in the 50s and we had to make sure the right hyd fluid was used.I remember one fluid would jam the control valves if it got into tractors by mistake.

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic or 90 wt. oil in Ford 601 Workmaster??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

But... you have a 600 with an admitedly worn vane pump. He has a 601 which has a piston pump. (most 600's have the piston pump too- a running change made in '56 if I remember right)I have a '53 Jubilee which was updated to the piston pump many, many years ago. Works fine with 134 (all 3 sumps) all year 'round. Carries a Ford 503 hay rake on the hottest summer days, and that is heavy enough to make the front end bounce a bit.

Ice cold
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic or 90 wt. oil in Ford 601 Workmaster??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Mark...now this 134 stuff is avaliable at NH dealer?

Glad to hear it! I've got it tore down with the motor at the machine shop and was having issues with the lift cylinder. wouldn't raise after it got warm but cold would lift. took it apart and found the sweep ring broken but the O ring was intact. Trying to use the manual to trouble shoot and it talks about a multitude of valves and the special tools used to replace them. got it tore down should I address anything else while I'm in there?

Also got a live PTO but clutch is expensive. Mine works but thinking of rebuilding. the engaging ears are all at different heights. Can a guy rebuild himself and where do I find the specs for the ear heights to make proper adjustments. will start another thread on this.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.