Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hydraulics stuck up after pump removal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yellow52N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: hydraulics stuck up after pump removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello All.
I have a 1952 8N side mount dist with hydraulic problems.
Thelift arms are stuck all the way up and
After reading through the archives I was able to determine it was time to pull the pump after all other attempts to free them failed.
So when I dropped the pump and cleaned and inspected I noticed the intake valve was stuck.
I am assuming this was the problem?
I freed it cleaned it and lubed it and it is functioning perfectly now so I am ready to put it back in and see if it works.
But then I realized that the lift arms are still stuck in the upward position.
Will I have to do anything before putting the pump back in now?
Will this involve opening up the upper part of the lift with the cylinders?
Any help on where to from here would really help.
I need this tractor to be functioning as my yard is out of conmtrol.
Thank you all.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: hydraulics stuck up after pump removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Something else must be wrong. The lift should fall of its own weight with the pump removed or with the lift control lowered.

Look up at the lift mechanism from the pump opening to see if you can find something amiss.

Dean

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: hydraulics stuck up after pump removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the 8N lift if the control valve gets really stuck it can cause other troubles and damage. The control valve/s arw supposed to be automatically moved to the neutral position by the action of the ram cylinder piston moving out of the back of the ram cylinder and making contact with the neutral dowel pin that is attached to the upper portion of the control rod that goes between the pump and the ram cylinder. When the control valve is stuck in the up position firmly and the piston makes contact with the neutral dowel pin the piston just keeps on pushing against the neutral dowel pin trying to get the control valve to move to neutral. The control rod will just bend like a bow and the ram cylinder piston can come nearly completely out the back of the ram cylinder and get stuck there if one or more of the rings exits the ram cylinder.

That may be what has happened to you lift.

Pull the top cover and inspect it.

I have even seen the lift raise so high that the rocker gets hung up with the differential housing at the back and it will be stuck with you try to raise the lift off the tractor. I hope that is not the case. If it is try striking the lift arms with a big hammer to dislodge the rocker.

Don't put the pump back in until have got the lift arms unstuck.

If that control rod is bent into a bow you will need to straighten and re adjust the lift.

I make an adjusting jig fixture to make it possible to get it right the first time. Has instructions as to how to use it too.

Zane

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: hydraulics stuck up after pump removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Damm that wuzs good

yellow52N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: hydraulics stuck up after pump removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thank you very much for the tip.
I will pull off the top cover today and check it out.
I had used another tractor bucket to force down the lift before but i will pul apart today and see if they will drop. I will post back the results.
thank you

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.