Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JD 2750 hydraulics and rockshaft chatter

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: JD 2750 hydraulics and rockshaft chatter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Today whilst brush hogging, I went to lift the implement and the whole hydraulic system and tractor seemed to start chattering or vibrating real bad. It would do this when either lifting or lowering the rockshaft. I could even feel it through the power steering when turning the steering wheel lock to lock.

I shut it down and checked to see if I had maybe broken or damaged something under the tractor, everything appeared to be in order. So I restarted to tractor and it wasn't as bad as before, but the chattering was still there.
I left it running and got out and it seems that the main pump has a noise like a knock or bad rattle in it.

I continued working the tractor, but nursed it along gently and the chattering and noise seemed to disappear, but when I went to lift the implement again, it started chattering and the noise returned. After that I gave up and drove it home.

To me, it seems that some thing has gone wrong in the main pump. What is your best guess? I have had a look though my service manual, but none of the malfunctions described in it sound like my problem.
Aussie
Edit PS, Hyd. oil filter and hyd. oil changed about 50 hours ago and the suction screen was cleaned also.

Last edited by Bushed on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
LarrySTN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 2750 hydraulics and rockshaft chatter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First, did you check the oil level in the transmission? It is to be checked with the engine running. If the level is in the operating zone, then you likely have a problem with the hydraulic pumps charge supply. My 2750 was split twice to fix the problem you are having. The steel tubing inside the trans shifted and did not provide enough oil to the main hydraulic pump.

LarrySTN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 2750 hydraulics and rockshaft chatter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First, did you check the oil level in the transmission? It is to be checked with the engine running. If the level is in the operating zone, then you likely have a problem with the hydraulic pumps charge supply. My 2750 was split twice to fix the problem you are having. The steel tubing inside the trans shifted and did not provide enough oil to the main hydraulic pump.

Bushed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: JD 2750 hydraulics and rockshaft chatter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LarrySTN, yeah I did check the hydraulic oil level and if anything it is a little over full.

I also forgot the mention that when the problem first happened, the rockshaft raised to it's full height automatically,...- this is really weird.

Could this have something to do with the stroke control valve??
Aussie

Last edited by Bushed on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: JD 2750 hydraulics and rockshaft chatter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bushed,
When rockshaft raised automatically did control handle move also or did it stay in position? What setting do you have the L/D control handle? On closed-center hyd's there are several possible problems to look for such as stroke control valve failure,broken inlet/outlet valve spring in hyd pump,low charge pressure(trans pump) or high pressure internal leak just to name a few.

Bushed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: JD 2750 hydraulics and rockshaft chatter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:15:20 11/05/0Cool
Bushed,
When rockshaft raised automatically did control handle move also or did it stay in position? What setting do you have the L/D control handle? On closed-center hyd's there are several possible problems to look for such as stroke control valve failure,broken inlet/outlet valve spring in hyd pump,low charge pressure(trans pump) or high pressure internal leak just to name a few.

Tx Jim, No the control handle remained where it was set at, I was using the rockshaft in the ''floating'' position. Is the inlet/outlet valve spring located in the main pump?
Aussie
Edit, Sorry but I was just trying to think back to when this happened and I think, but can't be absolutely sure that I was partially lifting the implement to clear a rock when the rockshaft raised to its full lift height.

Last edited by Bushed on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: JD 2750 hydraulics and rockshaft chatter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm worried after reading

"I continued working the tractor, but nursed it along gently and the chattering and noise seemed to disappear, but when I went to lift the implement again, it started chattering and the noise returned. After that I gave up and drove it home."

Usually operating equipment with noise/problems just makes things more expensive to repair.
I would be operating the rockshaft on the L load position.
When was the last time the main pump drive coupler was replaced?

Bushed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: JD 2750 hydraulics and rockshaft chatter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

b&d,
I replaced the pump drive coupler about 5 years, or 2000 hours ago.

As to why I continued to work the tractor I thought that the problem had cleared itself and I was hoping that maybe a little bit of dirt or foreign material had found its way into the system, and then cleared, because it seemed to come good.
Aussie

Last edited by Bushed on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bushed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 2750 hydraulics and rockshaft chatter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, I think I will pull the main pump out and check it out as this seemed to be where the most mechanical noise was coming from.

If it checks out as OK, then at least I know it is good and I can look else where for the problem.
Aussie

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: JD 2750 hydraulics and rockshaft chatter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Before going to all the work of pulling the main pump. Take a few minutes and put a pressure gauge on the transmission's low pressure system.
If the transmission pressure is low the main pump could be ok and still make noise.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: JD 2750 hydraulics and rockshaft chatter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bushed,
I second what b&d stated about installing a pressure gauge only I would check both trans pump and main pump pressures. If you tear main pump down you may not be experienced enough to "see a problem". Also you don't know how hard it is to r&r main pump or you would prefer to do some diagnostics first.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: JD 2750 hydraulics and rockshaft chatter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="buickanddeere"](quoted from post at 12:13:27 11/05/0Cool

I would be operating the rockshaft on the L load position.

buickanddeere
I was taught "L" was meant for using a plow not a blade. Do you get a smooth job done in "L" without the blade raising?lowering? I know one has more hand control of blade in "D" than "L".

Last edited by Tx Jim on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Bushed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: JD 2750 hydraulics and rockshaft chatter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

b&d, thanks for your advice, but I already had the main pump out when I read your reply. I had a talk to my local JD service manager and he seems to think that the main pump would be a good place to start.

Now that it's out I may as well have a look through it , if nothing is found then at least I will know that it is good. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

Tx Jim, thanks also for your input, as I said to b&d, now thats its out I will go through it. I do have mechanical experience and the Deere service manual, so I think that I should not have too many problems with at least puting a seal kit in the pump. I thank you also for your help too.
Aussie

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 2750 hydraulics and rockshaft chatter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't discount a plugged suction screen and or filter just because it was done not long ago. If your brake linings are falling apart it can plug them up fast.
Too bad a tranny pump flow test wasn't performed.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 2750 hydraulics and rockshaft chatter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ummmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,yeah........... Had it completely *ssbackwards.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.