Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 8N timing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papa Joe
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Ford 8N timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a fresh 1948/8N/plugs will fire/engine will not start/bell housing does not have a hole to set flywheel timing/how do you check the timing on this tractor/anyone/help!!!

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to bring No1 piston near the radiator to TDC on the compression stroke. When you're at TDC on the compression stroke your timing mark should be aligned and both valves should be closed.

Remove the cap and see where your rotor is pointing it should be at the No1 plug tower note which way the rotor turns. If the rotor is at the No1 plug wire you need to have your plug wires
connected on the cap in the correct firing and the wires go to the correct corresponding plug like in this order, but your No1 wire may be different. Hal
1-3 This turning CCW.
4-2

Tominnebr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If front mount distributor the only timing you can do is before you install the distributor. No place to check when cranking. I have done several of these and had a couple that the only way I could start them the first time was to pull start. Can't say why but it worked.

DRL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never timed a 8N, but here is how I initially set timing on most engines after I've had them apart. First I bring #1 piston to TDC on compression stroke. Be sure it is on compression either by placing your finger over the plug hole to feel the compression or removing the inspection plate on the side to observe that both valves are closed. After you are SURE that #1 is TDC compression, then I install the distributor so that the rotor is pointing at the #1 post on the cap. You should have noted where that post was when you removed the distributor or you can reference the repair manual. Once the distributor is properly installed, I then turn the distributor until the points are just beginning to open. If I have the electrical hooked up, I will turn on the ignition and watch for the points to spark or listen for them to "snap". If no electrical, I just watch very closely. I then tighten the distributor down and double check to be sure I didn't move it during the process. Place the cap back on the distributor (don't forget to put the rotor back in) and properly install the plug wires. This should get the timing close enough to get the engine started. I'm sure that there are timing marks somewhere. Again, a manual should have that info. After you get the engine started you can fine tune the timing. This method has never failed me in 20 years.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This drawing shows the spark plug wire arrangement.

Check out the link below for instructions on timing the distributor.
Setting up the front mount distributor

Fordman6442
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lets see??? 2008---1948= 60 years. Yea I think a pull would work. I'm 58 and often need to be pulled to get going.Good luck.

Bob - MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You don't describe changing the points. Based on that I wonder if it was running before you did the plugs?

You best bet to resolve this would be to post on the Ford 9N/2N/8N site. Lots of helpful guys there.

Lumpy

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ALL N series Ford tractors WITH front mount dist., virtually DO NOT have timing to change. Sure, on the side of the distributor you will find a big screw that you can loosen a little and slide a block up or down to change the timing a little, but it is such a small amount that you will hardly notice. Most of your timing change is done by setting your points at a different gap.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"WITH front mount dist., virtually DO NOT have timing to change"

Simply put, "BULLPUCKY".

The points need to be set @ .015" for a good hot spark and LEFT THERE.

There IS an adequate amount of timing adjustment by rotating the breaker plate. Since the distributor runs 1/2 crank speed, every degree the breaker plate is moved changes the actual timing by 2.

That is done "on the bench", and I already have posted a link showing how to do that correctly.

Lumpy

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Really Bob! I've been around these N's my whole life and have moved this "slide plate" on the side of the distributor while on the tractor and have never noticed much of a difference. And YES I have tried it on several different tractors not just one or two.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ever run the distributor an a distributor machine and seen what's ACTUALLY HAPPENING, advance wise? Well, I have.

reluskie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're suggestion helped us identify the problem. The valve timing was off. Pulled the distributor and gears and found it was off. Just fired it up and now need to finish putting it back together.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.