Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Continental FA162

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mntoy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Continental FA162 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Joy Portable RP 125 tow behind air compressor with a Continental FA162 flat head motor. Anyone know where I can get information on this motor? spec"s, tune-up info, or replacment parts, etc? Also dont know where to get any information on the Joy Compresssor either but maybe this isnt the forum for that. Any help would be great. Thanks, Mike

noncompos
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Continental FA162 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For tech info try Wisconsinmotors.com; has lots of info on Wisc and Cont engines, probably has the 162.
Don't know what the "A" stands for (Truck version is F4162, Ag/Ind F162, Power unit PF162---OHV versions are "FO", military "FS". I haven't looked to see if the 162 had OHV or military versions, that was just Cont usage at the time).
F4162's in my 50 Motor (gas only) so probably a fairly popular engine.
Cont Truck versions have timing chains, others timing gears, and they rotate in opposite directions.

J. Schwiebert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Continental FA162 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The basic information I have laying a foot away. On that engine plate is also a "Spec" number. That can become important. You tell me what you need. I will post sometime over the weekend. J.

mntoy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Continental FA162 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The compressor starts but does not increase in speed, even if I move the carberator linkage. So I am looking for tune-up information. I think I also want to remove the carb, clean and maybe rebuild then plugs wires and timing. Not sure what else but a operators and repair manual would be great. From the other post not even sure how to ask for parts at the local auto parts store (FA162) Hopefully I can get these parts with the Continental Motor FA162 description or do I need a year model? Thanks for any help you can give.

ron8

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Continental FA162 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you may order parts or books from me.
This is a very good engine

mntoy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Continental FA162 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you a business, if so do you have a website or store front with an address and phone number? What does a manual cost?
Thanks,

Ole Shovel
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Continental FA162 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can download a parts and service manual for the Continental L Head (flat head) engines for no charge at Wisconsin Motors site. Many parts are available through NAPA or local machine shops. montesequipment.com has Continental parts and info. Most Motor Truck Repair Manuals had a stock engine section in back with tune up and torque specs for Continental, Hercules and other power units. I had a Joy compressor with F227 6 cylinder got rid of because had too much trouble finding anyone knew how to work on them or find parts. Do some google searches and ask at local industrial construction equipment & rental places for info about Joy as I forget who bought them out now.
Continental & Wisconsin engine manuals

noncompos
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Continental FA162 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As John asked, post the spec # or serial number on the engine tag (post everything on the tag, it's free), and wait for his advice.
FWIW, a couple old ring/valve catalogs show two different pistons, one with 4th ring 1/4, other with 4th ring 3/16, with valves, keepers,guides the same,BUT FA162 NOT LISTED (lines are for F4162, Ind'l F162 (per Cont usage "Ind'l" includes Ag), LF162 and Power Unit PF162).
I have no idea if FA162 takes same or other parts.
Now what the blankety-blank is an LF162???
John, HELP! (FA and LF).

mntoy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Continental FA162 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The entire tag information is FA162 2255 8855. Any idea how to tell if this is a zenith or marvel schebler carb? and what model carb of either brand they are? I think a rebuild is coming.

Ole Shovel
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Continental FA162 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Download the Continental manuals FREE from Wisconsin Motors don't have to buy them! ID info, overhaul info, carb info is in those. Google search for Joy compressor parts and several come up.... Still can't remember seems Gardner Denver bought out Joy ?

http://www.answers.com/topic/joy-compressor

http://joycomparedtoairengineering.com/

mntoy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Continental FA162 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So now that I have downloaded the manuals and determined I have a Marvel Schebler TSX the auto parts store needs a three digit number to go with that carb as they say there are about 20 different types of the TSX. Any idea where I find the three digit number? is it on the carb? if so where? I have the same question about the AC fuel pump how do I find the part number or identifying numbers as the manual only signifys it is a AC pump. any help would be great.

AireDale

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Continental FA162 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sullair is the successor company to Joy.

Ole Shovel
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Continental FA162 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Airedale is right about Sullair being successor to Joy and one I was trying to think of before but said Gardner instead. Contact Sullair or dealer for them to get more info and manuals on the compressor.

Well more than 20 types of TSX carbs the numbers run from 11 to 1004 ! lol. But about 4 kits or a universal TSX kit works for ALL of them. My Zenith / Marvel Schebler catalog under Continental engines only has one listing for F162 on Joy compressor as TSX-609 which uses a Zenith carb kit K7510 and that is the Zenith number. Zenith bought out MS. It's mostly the gaskets that are some different but many universal kits come with extra gaskets to fit all the TSX so your parts store is not very educated on that or could have fixed you up. Can find a Zenith dealer with dealer locator at zenithfuelsystems.com or call V.E. Petersen 1-800-537-6212 I don't know on the fuel pumps but VE Petersen might can help on it too or try montesequipment.com

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Stationary Engines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.