Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A reminder for us all: bad farm accident

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBMac
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: A reminder for us all: bad farm accident Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This was forwarded down from our safety manager in South Carolina. He knows these folks personally. A reminder for us all to be careful. I'm guessing they were using a PTO driven auger. I doesn't take but a second for to lose limbs or life. Read below:

John

Dear Friends,

I was asked to forward this email and request prayer for them. I would
ask that you also forward it. The power of prayer can bring about great
things. Let's just pray that God will see fit to heal her broken body.

Please pray for Katie Parsons and her family. She is the 14 year old
daughter of James and Christine Parsons in Candor. Katie was in a very bad
farming accident Saturday evening. She was helping put in
fencing when her hair got caught in the PTO on the auger. When she reached
down to pull it out she got tangled up in it. She was air lifted from the
farm to Chapel Hill. After 10 hours of surgery her vitals are stable.
Doctors are very optimistic about her survival. However, she has some
loss. Katie was scalped and they could not save it. She has lost her right
ear and 3 fingers. They are trying to save her arm. This is a critical
time for blood flow to see what can be saved.

Her father is blaming himself heavily. The Parsons family has been in the
farming business for 100's of years. They have the produce stand on the
right as you come into Candor NC from Hwy. 211 East.

Jessica Harvell, Administrative Assistant
Albemarle Wesleyan Church

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: So we don't need pto shaft shields? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So lets here from these people who claim pto shields are a waste of time and money.
A farming family of 100+ years experience should know all the dangers and not require the use of safety equipment them sissy city farmers need.
How much is the medical care and the victim being crippled for her entire life going to cost? Makes a pto shield look economical.
Even a length of 4" dia corrugated plastic drain tile over the shaft would have been better than nothing.

Hoss In ME
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: A reminder for us all: bad farm accident Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do pray that she gets better. Hoss

plow hand
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: A reminder for us all: bad farm accident Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our prayers are with Katie.God Bless you!

plow hand
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: So we don't need pto shaft shields? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My thoughts are with Katie at this time... B and D I agree with you I posted a topic on this... RFD TV had some guy getting interviewed.. There was a power unit running an irrigation pump full throttle not a guard anywhere wide open PTO shaft. Let me tell you there was a lot of guys that threw a lot of manure and mud at me telling me to mind my own business.

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: So we don't need pto shaft shields? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Best wishes for her recovery...

It could have been one of those typical accidents..the ones where every safety shield was in place, but her hair was let down and it got into the auger itself...

I am reminded of my brother-in -law combining and who was very careful without exception..but got out of the combine once and left the header running to check it..
A thread on his Carharts caught in a sprocket and before he knew it, he was standing there in his UNDERWEAR...
Farming has a reputation for being dangerous and we all know it..
Maybe we can apply to the Government for a Bail-out, to up-date safety on the Farm....??
Looks like they are throwing money at everything else..

So sorry to hear of her injuries..PTO-driven equipment in so necessary, but openly dangerous in many ways..
Do you suppose we should think about having a KILL Switch at the rear of the tractor, for emergency shut-down..???
Maybe an emergency shut-down wire strung the length of the PTO shaft that can be grabbed from any angle..??
Let's do something POSITIVE with this..OK.??

Ron.

jack harmon
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: A reminder for us all: bad farm accident Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What a shame,by the way,something most folks dont think of,is one of the most common accidents on farms now is long hair getting hung in round balers.be extremely careful around them.they have our prayers

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: So we don't need pto shaft shields? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was farming before PTO guards came on the scene
and we always had a healthy respect for them.Now with guards some seem to think its 'safe' to be right up next to PTO shafts which it isn't, each end can be dangerous around the joints which cannot be fully covered giving those around it a false sense of security.The ONLY safe way to get next to a PTO shaft is when its not turning

Nancy Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: A reminder for us all: bad farm accident Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have long hair. When working around the farm, I pull it back and put it in a single braid in back. This generally keeps it out of my face, from blocking my vision and away from "moving parts".

I've had one "near miss". James and I had been on a tractor ride around the farm on two of our JD A's. To shut the tractor down, we generally shut the gas off and let the tractor run out of gas. For this particular JD, it was easier to reach the valve from the opposite side away from the bowl. I had on a nylon jacket and as I leaned over to reach through and turn the gas valve off, my hair which was pulled back but not braided, slid over my shoulder and fell forward, just inches from the spinning clutch. My heart skipped a beat. I thanked our Lord that it did not get caught in the clutch.

I am much more careful about my hair now.

Ken Macfarlane
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: So we don't need pto shaft shields? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd worry about letting anyone with long hair around rotating machinery sheilds or not. It tends to get sucked past guards and screens.

I know in school the machinist made me tie my hair back or wear a hat or I wasn't allowed near the equipment. I didn't think too much about it until my wifes coworker scalped about 2x3" of herself with a 3/8 black and drill drill when her hair got in it.

Terrible thing to happen to the little girl. I will try to remember that when I or my family are working.

Nancy Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: So we don't need pto shaft shields? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a good idea, but the problem is the length of time it takes a pto to stop spinning. Perhaps a break away gear with an emergency brake/stop mechanism?

plow hand
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: So we don't need pto shaft shields? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree Joe how ya doin today??? I have to work on my van today I trust all is well with you!!

dave2
Tractor Guru

Location: Kutzberg, Germany 1972 IHC 423 (German). 2.5 Liter 3cyl direct injection diesel 42HP

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: So we don't need pto shaft shields? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BushogPapa wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:45:14 02/12/09)
Maybe we can apply to the Government for a Bail-out, to up-date safety on the Farm....??
Looks like they are throwing money at everything else.

Farmers here are inspected periodically for insurance purposes. Ladders have to be approved, gaurds on PTO's. Doors (stalls, etc.) have to be approved, you have to have proper protective clothing IAW what you are doing. If you or someone gets hurt and wasn't wearing/using proper equipment, you get big problems with the insurance.

Dave

Brian Jasper co. Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: So we don't need pto shaft shields? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Joe, I didn't think we'd ever agree on something, but here we do. I have some machinery that is too old to have o.e. guards on it. I also know that if I need to adjust, fix, unplug, whatever, STOP the engine and wait for everything to come to a stop. It's too bad a young girl got hurt, and I hope she gets well soon, but like you say COMMON SENSE PEOPLE!

Brian Jasper co. Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: So we don't need pto shaft shields? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Joe, I didn't think we'd ever agree on something, but here we do. I have some machinery that is too old to have o.e. guards on it. I also know that if I need to adjust, fix, unplug, whatever, STOP the engine and wait for everything to come to a stop. It's too bad a young girl got hurt, and I hope she gets well soon, but like you say COMMON SENSE PEOPLE!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.