Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7.8 ford truck engine swap with ford 9600 401

View previous topic :: View next topic  
david futrell

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: 7.8 ford truck engine swap with ford 9600 401 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

does anyone out there know if a ford 7.8 inline six swap out with a ford 401 diesel in a 9600 ford

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 7.8 ford truck engine swap with ford 9600 401 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well... if you're building a puller and have unlimited dollars, then I'd say it can be done. If you're replacing a busted block in a farm tractor, find an engine from another 9600.
There would be a bunch of subtle differences if you get down to looking at those engines. Flywheels and their bolt patterns would probably be one. I also don't think the 7.8L engine is really intended as a 'structural' block whereas the 401 was... In short, it will cost far more to do the swap than a good running 401 and probably more than a longblock.

Rod

Bern
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 7.8 ford truck engine swap with ford 9600 401 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In addition to what Ron said, the 7.8L (and 7.5L Genesis) blocks are taller. This will cause misalignment problems with everything from the fan to the rear support bracket. I don't think it's worth the hassle.

david futrell

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 7.8 ford truck engine swap with ford 9600 401 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

is there an industriaul engine that will swap this is going to be a puller

Lumpy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 7.8 ford truck engine swap with ford 9600 401 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Becareful about what you are wanting to swap in. When it comes to rule books and what classes you are thinking about running. If you are building a S.F. or P.S., I believe you MUST run a block mfg by what ever tractor you are building. Example: If you pull a I.H, you have to run a I.H block. It can be out of a dozer or dump truck, but it still has to be a I.H block.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 7.8 ford truck engine swap with ford 9600 401 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

David, probably the best known older ford hot farm puller in the country uses the genesis engine. I was looking at it about three weeks ago. It has a separate structural frame, but still uses the original cases. I pull with a stock 9000 myself.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.