Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WESTLINE Wrenches

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobPA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: WESTLINE Wrenches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ANybody ever hear of Westline? I bought them at a flea market and they look like brand new. Set of offset box wrenches and are USA made. I paid $7 for the set.

Dalex

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: WESTLINE Wrenches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is Graingers house brand. If they are pretty new , they are prolly made by Danaher , like craftsman

DH in Carolina
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: WESTLINE Wrenches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Westline tools were sold by Western Auto stores in the 60's and 70's. They are good quality tools. Westward is the Grainger brand. DH

greygoat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: WESTLINE Wrenches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DH is correct, Westline was Western Auto Stores
house brand, pretty good quality stuff

Uncle Ernie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: WESTLINE Wrenches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WESTWARD is Graingers house brand. No idea who makes them. About inexpensive tool average for quality.

White Knight
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: WESTLINE Wrenches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DH is not correct. I used to work for Western Auto and their tools were Westcraft. Had the same warranty as Craftsman. Then in the mid 60"s, they changed to Wizard and refused to honor the orphaned Westcraft brand. Lost a LOT of customers over that. Lost me as an employee too, but that"s another story.

TimV
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: WESTLINE Wrenches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Westline was Western Auto's house brand. Vlchek made at least some of their wrenches, which were just re-branded Vlchek stuff. Quality of this stuff in general is homeowner level--$7.00 for a used set is about right--they probably weren't a lot more than that new.

DH in Carolina
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: WESTLINE Wrenches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to www.alloy-artifacts.com/vlchek-story and tell me that I am wrong. Western Auto had Wizard, Westcraft and Westline. I own all three and they came from Western Auto. DH

keh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: WESTLINE Wrenches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This post got my curiosity up so I went and dug into tool box for the set of open end small open end wrenches I bought from Western Auto in the late 1950s. They are Westline and are homeowner quality, black finish, not chrome. I also have some Wizard tools that I have picked up used down through the years.

KEH

woody73
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: WESTLINE Wrenches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Bob,if you still need more information then go to www THE WRENCHING NEWS.com. I belong to several tool groups,this site will get you started. I hope that I never stop learning new information,all the best Woody!

White Knight
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: WESTLINE Wrenches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DH, I stand corrected about Westl. Evidently before my time. However, I still stand by the story that Western Auto dumped one brand-may have been Wizard, and kept the other. Western Auto had financial problems in the early sixties and was taken over by a finance company. They then came out with a "full line" catalog. We were told we're going to compete with the Firestone stores. Western Auto had always sold appliances but now they were getting into furniture-more profit-and now had their own "revolving charge". I freely admit my memory ain't what it used to be, but customers being told "sorry" sticks in my craw. Some "lifetime warranty", huh? For me, that one "change" was enough to make me look elsewhere.

DH in Carolina
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: WESTLINE Wrenches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey White Knight I didn't mean to come across so blunt but after I posted it was too late. When I was growing up we had a Western Auto store in town. Worked and bought my first bicycle there when I was 16. Was a Western Flyer with chrome fenders. Wish I still had it. Most of my first tools were wizard and I still have some. Have a good day. DH

White Knight
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: WESTLINE Wrenches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you think you came across as blunt-I deserved it with my "know it all" attitude. My first bicycle was a used J.C. Higgins with "knee action". Had a license plate from 1935 on it. Wish i'd kept it, too. Remember Western Autos' Vita-Power Wearwell motor oil? That stuff was the poorest oil going-worse than Pennzoil, which in the 60's wasn't saying much. You too have a good evening. WK

36 coupe

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: WESTLINE Wrenches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I still have a few Westline wrenches I bought at the local Western Auto.Westline cost less than the Wizard wrenches.Most of my hand tools were bought at the Western Auto 1950 thru 1965.These tools gave good service.

BobPA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: WESTLINE Wrenches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the history of this tool. I had no idea who sold them or when. I'm glad I got them.
Have a good day. Bob

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.