Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BCS 710 tiller clutch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkg19
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: BCS 710 tiller clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a BCS Gardiner 710 tiller and the clutch won't throw out. I do not have a service manual, nor a parts manual -- I don't know if they are available. Has anyone had a similar experience with the BCS? and if so how did you go about fixing it?

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: BCS 710 tiller clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a BCS 710 tiller, but I don't have a problem with the clutch. I had a problem with hard shifting, and the dealer made some adjustments which after about 5 years of usage finnaly worked. You are supposed to keep the clutch disconnected when not in use to prevent the clutch from sticking. You may also want to try shortning the cable to get more throw on the shift fork.
You might google BCS and see if they have the owners manual on line or can send you one.

rkg19
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: BCS 710 tiller clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Jerry/MT"](reply to post at 07:08:12 04/23/09) [/quote]

Thank you for the concept that the clutch might just be stuck -- I will try to shorten the cable a bit, and run the machine under load in high gear with the clutch depressed and see if it pops free.

skkcol

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: BCS 710 tiller clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a BCS 710 as well. I bought it used and when I bought it the clutch was stuck. You had to engage it by yanking the handle into gear. I fixed it by removing the clutch and putting it into a big vise, once it broke free it has worked fine for the last 5 years. This is a very easy machine to work on, even without the manual.

rkg19
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: BCS 710 tiller clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How did you get the clutch out? Do I have to break the machine apart in the middle? Does the engine have to come off? I have a parts diagram -- but no shop manual. This is the version with the Briggs and Stratton engine.

skkcol

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: BCS 710 tiller clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine has the 5 hp Briggs. You have to remove the engine which is only 4 bolts/nuts. You then pull the engine out, the spline shaft which goes to the transmission pulls right out of the clutch. So you have the engine with the clutch attached to the shaft sitting on the ground. The clutch is removed with a nut with a allen screw in the middle. Loosen the nut then the allen screw and the clutch will slide right off. There is a key way and the key will most likely fall out. Then I took the clutch and put it in a big vise and squeezed it to break it free. Hope this helps

rkg19
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: BCS 710 tiller clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="skkcol"](reply to post at 13:48:35 04/26/09) [/quote]

Once again, thanks to you both. Thanks for the information about removing the clutch, but fortunately I didn't have to go through the process. I shortened the cable, and ran the machine under load tilling up a section of field with the clutch lever fully depressed, hoping that the load would snap it free. It didn't, but it must have started something. Then I shut it off, tightened the cable as hard as I dared and left it for 2 days. Lo and behold, when I went to check it this afternoon IT HAD FREED ITSELF. I guess all's well that ends well. Needless to say, it won't ever again be left in the engaged position when it's shut off.

greenbeanman in Kansas
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Glad it worked out for you. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glad it worked out for you and freed up.

I'm providing a link below for BCS equipment and some other as well.

Joel is a super guy and will go out of his way to help so I like to throw business his way anytime that I can.
BCS Sales

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.