Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmall M Hydraulic Fluid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
butch force

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Farmall M Hydraulic Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just inherited a Farmall M. I know this is basic, but is there any way to check the level of the hydraulic fluid? I am assuming you fill it on the right side as one sets on the tractor. Does it take HY-Tran or motor oil. Tahnks all

Roy Ward
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Hydraulic Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

30 weight motor oil. There is a drain plug in the center of the bottom of the pump. There should be a dip stick attached to the cap on the right side of the tractor. Empty it should take about 1 Gal. If it's and older unit I like to add some STP.

Butch force

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Hydraulic Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Roy. I am going out now to look again, but I did not see a dip stick when I took the cap off. Matter of fact, I have inherited three H's and did not see a dip stick on any of them. Thanks again

Cub n M in OR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Hydraulic Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They called for 30w non detergent orriginally. I run Regular hydraulic fluid in mine so I can hook onto any equipment without cross contamination.
Most of those old dipsticks are long gone. if you overfill, it will just overflow. I think 6 quarts is the capacity.

Ben

Butch force

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Hydraulic Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, I have a spare from one of the H's that I imagine will work. Now that I have a template, I can always fab one up. Is there suppose to be packing in the top of the filler cap? There is also a brass fitting with a screw on the filler cap, I imagine that is some kind of vent or relief system.

I notice the M has a valve on the filler side to regulate implements to the rear of the tractor. nice touch. Tahnks all.

Roy Ward
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Hydraulic Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They didn't secure it well and in some cases they fell in to the pump. You might just screw off that pipe and with a magnet feel around for it. It should be about 6 inches long. It attaches to the cap with a pin.
Hyd fluid has been used but your pump tolerances needs to be more than perfect or you will get less pressure when the oil is hot.

Butch force

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Hydraulic Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, I guess I can always put a small TIG bead on the small round disk and dip stick to hold it in place. Thanks, I did think about putting a magnet in and digging around. Will check it out tomorrow. Any idea about the brass screw on the cap? May be an after thought by previous owners.
I like this tractor. Have to investigate a three point.

john d
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Hydraulic Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brass screw may or may not have been IH, or even dealer installed. My M does not have it, but my SM does. I'm guessing it lets the air out of the pump reservoir a little more quickly.

If your pump is worn much, SAE 30 may work better than Hy-Tran when it warms up. NON-detergent SAE 30 is recommended. SAE 40 may help if the pump is worn a little.

It holds about 6 quarts. I have a loader on my M. It has no dipstick. When it won't quite lift all the way up, it's time for another quart!

Butch Force

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Hydraulic Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John D,
thanks. Wouldn't it be great of my M was indeed a SM??? Doubt if I am that fortunate. Assume you have no problems switching/mixing implements with HY-Tran and 30 or 40 weight. Is there a pressure test one can do to verify the pumps condition?

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Hydraulic Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The brass vent that could be opened or closed was original equipment when a remote control valve was installed. Thats the valve that will operate a hydraulic cylinder 2 ways. If you have the IH remote control and parts the dipstick had 2 joints that let it bend to get in and out. Full mark was about 12-3/4 inches down from under cap. Without remote control valve installed the dipstick was straight. Full mark about 9-1/2 inches down from where cap mounts.

Butch Force

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Hydraulic Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

D Slater, well that clears allot up. Obviously, a shop manual a near term purchase. Thanks much

Andy Martin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Hydraulic Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the original dip sticks were captured in a hole in the disc to allow them to swing. Welding them on may result in premature breakage due to vibration.

butch force

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Hydraulic Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks andy, thats a good point I did not think of

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.