Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

52 8N Hydraulic Pump Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod9865
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: 52 8N Hydraulic Pump Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been having trouble with the hydraulics leaking down on my tractor quite a while. I have put new NAA piston, cylinder, and safety valve in and has not helped. I am going to try and rebuild the pump now.
I see several kits on the market and I want to go ahead and get one with the valve chambers and all. All that I have seen come with a control valve, but it looks like a valve for a 9n-2n (T-shaped valve). Am I missing something here? I want to make sure that I get the right stuff the first time around.
Any help will be appreciated,
Rodney

ron8n

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Hydraulic Pump Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have whatever you need

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Hydraulic Pump Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

before you start taking it apart.. observe and look for leaks.. you could still have a leak under the lift cover if you did not use a new lift cyl.

once you take it apart. it's anybodies guess...

soundguy

Rod9865
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Hydraulic Pump Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cannot find a leak anywhere. I replaced the piston, cylinder, and safety valve. I have sat there for a hour scanning and see no leakage in the case. I have live hydraulics on this tractor so I installed a check valve in the pressure line to make sure I had no back flow thru the engine driven pump with the engine off. It gets worse as the oil heats up. It seems like a internal leakage in the pump somewhere to me because it acts the same when I am using both pumps or just the engine driven pump.
As the oil heats up the lifting capacity goes down and does not change whether using one or both pumps.
Let me know what ya'll think.
Rodney

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Hydraulic Pump Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rod9865 wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:10:26 05/20/09) I cannot find a leak anywhere. I replaced the piston, cylinder, and safety valve. I have sat there for a hour scanning and see no leakage in the case. I have live hydraulics on this tractor so I installed a check valve in the pressure line to make sure I had no back flow thru the engine driven pump with the engine off. It gets worse as the oil heats up. It seems like a internal leakage in the pump somewhere to me because it acts the same when I am using both pumps or just the engine driven pump.
As the oil heats up the lifting capacity goes down and does not change whether using one or both pumps.
Let me know what ya'll think.
Rodney

Does your live set up feed into the pressure test port?

jiminoystercreek
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Hydraulic Pump Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an old hydraulic driven asphalt roller that is about 30 years old. That thing would run for a couple hours with no problem. As it heated up it would eventually not move at all. Problem was water contamination of the hydraulic fluid. The guy I bought it from changed the hydraulic fluid just before he sold it and didn't tighten the 2" fill plug that sat right out in the open where it got rained on every time we had a shower blow through. As soon as I looked at the fluid, I could tell it had water in it because it was milky colored. Changed it our, tightened the plug and its been running on the same fluid now for about 7 years and never gives me trouble.

Rod9865
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Hydraulic Pump Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My live setup feeds into the test port.
I am just wondering if some of the valves in the stock pump may be leaking causing my lift trouble being they have full pressure all the time.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Hydraulic Pump Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Actually , of all the valves in the pump, only one appears to be a candidate for your problem. Examine my diagram & you will see that only the Exhaust control valve leaking would result it your problem, as far as the pump assembly is concerned, since you have already eliminated the Check/over pressure valve. As you can see, a properly operating Check valve isolates all 4 cylinder's inlet & outlet valves from the need to hold pressure in your system. Unless you are absolutely sure that your live system components are faultless, you might want to make a test run with the TEST PORT plugged & using only your internal pump. Another & difficult leak can be as a result of a crack in the pump assembly casting.

Rod9865
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Hydraulic Pump Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think I might be getting somewhere. I replaced the pressure relief valve (1) but I have not replaced any check valves (2) on the pump. Where is the check valve at? Is the exhaust port (3) serviceable?
I placed a check valve in the pressure line of my external pump so that pressure could not backflow when the engine is not running. I think that should rule out pressure loss thru that system. My hydraulic system works fine with most implements but I know something is not exactly right because of the fairly quick leakdown of the system and the diminished capacity of the lift when the oil gets hot. I am running 134 oil in it and I am sure it does not help the situation much. I used some 50wt oil in the system when I first got it going this winter but in the cold it would cavitate the external pump.
I look forward to your reply,
Rodney

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Hydraulic Pump Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1 & 2 the overpressure & check valves are both part of a combination assembly, so if you replaced the assembly, you replaced both valve functions.
2 different styles shown

The Exhaust control valve is more difficult. Two parts, 625, bushing & 640, valve.
Both are likely not available new and they were 'select fit' when new. Clearance is very tight from "it will move in oiled bushing' up to 0.001 inch".
I have seen used valves on John Smith's site.

Last edited by JMOR on Wed May 20, 2009 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.