Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for better air filter for 54 Ford NAA Tractor.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
733Memphis
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Looking for better air filter for 54 Ford NAA Tractor. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a better air filter for a 54 Ford NAA tractor than the factory oil bath air filter? I am looking for some type of after market paper cartrige type of air filter and housing, preferably with a pre-filter foam cover. I do a lot of mowing and tillage in dusty conditions and I am looking for a better air filter system for my 54 Ford NAA tractor.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for better air filter for 54 Ford NAA Tractor. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Actually, you can't beat the original system so long as you change the oil in the bottom cup as often as conditions warrant.

Contrary to marketing hype the oiled gauze filters being sold nowadays for big bucks actually do a really s h i t t y job of keeping dirt out of the engine.

So stop trying to make things better by actually making them WORSE!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for better air filter for 54 Ford NAA Tractor. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oil bath how can you improve on it???????????????? It is the best for dusty conditions and has worked well for 50 plus years. Nothing better for dust etc etc etc

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for better air filter for 54 Ford NAA Tractor. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you really want better or easier.

I do not think you will find a better air filter than a oil bath system but paper cartrige would be eaiser.

Now if you really want better one of the larger oil bath filters that mounts on the side of the hood may be better.

GlenIdaho
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for better air filter for 54 Ford NAA Tractor. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Memphis;

I've not seen any after market kits for your tractor. The subject comes up from time to time about a conversion. With a little ingenuity you can make one yourself. However, over the years the consenus seems to be that the oil bath air cleaner is probably the best for tractors in dusty conditions. The dirt will clog the paper filter pretty fast which means some cost in replacing the filter. The foam pre-filter will also get dirty fast and require cleaning, probably more than the oil bath filter. The oil bath filter just requires some maintenance about every 10 hours of use, longer if not dusty. If you do a search of the archives you'll find some posts about the subject.

Stephen Foster

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for better air filter for 54 Ford NAA Tractor. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Harco prefilter for your tractor. don't know what it dose really can anyone explain? I just got my first 8n running. It has the basic oil bath air filter. was kinda wondering if there was any better filter or should i just stick with what it has?

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for better air filter for 54 Ford NAA Tractor. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You really can't improve on the original oil bath air cleaner. For many years you could order an optional "heavy duty" air cleaner for your pickup. It was oil bath, while the standard cleaner was paper.

Dry filters are more environmentally friendly and easier to service, but don't clean the air any better. One problem with dry filters is that you tend to get a bit of dust in the intake every time you service them, which is why most heavy equipment has a service indicator so you don't service the filter any more often than necessary.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for better air filter for 54 Ford NAA Tractor. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

733:

I agree with the earlier posters. You cannot cost effectively improve on your oil bath air filter. Oil bath air filters were discontinued because paper filters were less expensive not because they performed less well.

That said: Like a paper filter, if your oil bath filter has not been properly maintained it may be highly restrictive resulting in excessive fuel consumption, reduced power and eventually premature engine wear. Verify that the mesh filtering elements are clean and the internal air tube is not restricted with accumulated material.

Dean

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for better air filter for 54 Ford NAA Tractor. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with the others.. at most.. I'd get a precleaner / snorkel/settler jar/topper and clean it and service the oil frequently, and clean the mesh as needed.

these tractors didn't like 55+ years because they had bad air cleaner technology...

soundguy

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.