Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 bushel grain cart

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chestervillefarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: 500 bushel grain cart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the smallest tractor (horsepower) that could safely haul and stop a loaded 500 bushel grain cart?

Mike Aylward
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 500 bushel grain cart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It isn't so much a horsepower requirement as it is a weight and drawbar requirement. You will want as much weight as possible given the horsepower you have. You will also want a tractor with a substantial drawbar to carry the tongue weight. I've had a couple of 500 bushel carts and have ran both of them at different times with a 4020 that is fully weighted (it weighs around 13,500 lbs.). I wouldn't want anything smaller on it. Mike

IHMANKY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 500 bushel grain cart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tell you one thing, got a cart we load to about 350 bu. (all we really want on a single axle 14 ft. bed) and I was crazy enough to put it on an 806 one time... It did it, but pulling it was worse than actually running the pto. Even in first, it seemed real REAL rough on the clutch. The 886 does alright with it, but the 1086 does much better, we use it mainly due to the duals anyhow.

Moline_guy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 500 bushel grain cart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My brother runs his 4450 MFWd on his 500 cart, its a fair load. Like others said, the drawbar can be the weakest link. I have seen a few guys run a chain under the drawbar and up to the 3pt arms, just so its snug, to take out the bounce and give it some support. The softer the fields the more tractor and wheels you need out front.

Chris in SK
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 500 bushel grain cart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I’d shoot for 100 HP 2 wd as a minimum. I’m sure a smaller tractor would get it around, and a bigger one would get the job done better. Lots of factors to consider…how much field work vs. how much road / high speed work. How much weight it throws onto the tractor hitch…you need enough for adequate traction and braking. How hard will you drive it? Does the cart have brakes? If not, 2wd will stop it, but not on a dime, and expect the tractor brakes to protest a bit, and increased wear. Duals will help, and FWA with all round braking will help more. Field conditions….dry and firm, or soft and wet? Truck tires on the cart or good floatation tire etc.
Chris

spacechem
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: 500 bushel grain cart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When grain carts first started to catch on- early 80s, guys were trying them on their 4020s, 4320s, and 4430s, and sometimes breaking drawbars. Deere even came with a heavy-duty drawbar without the extra mounting holes for the clevis (that's where they would break).

It all depends how hard you run and how fast you drive, and how your cart is set up. First-generation carts (JD1210, etc.) had the wheels at the back, so a lot of tongue weight. Later ones were better balanced. If your kid goes cowboying out across the rows like he's in the Indy 500, and you've got extensions on the cart to hold a few more bushels, you can expect problems.

rockyridgefarm
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 500 bushel grain cart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We just bought a 450 bushel M&W and put it on our 160hp 4640 dualled up. In our hills here in SW WI, I wouldn't want any less of a tractor. I'd NEVER pull it with our 4020 or 4430 around here. You may get away with a smaller tractor on flat land.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.