Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9N Weight

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retcol
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: 9N Weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was wondering how much does a 9N weigh. I noticed in the Nebraska test the tractor weighed 3375 including 151 lbs. of calcium chloride in each rear tire. However, in the Ford N Series tractor book it said the 9N weight including gas , oil and water is 2410. What is correct?

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Retcol......both are. When 80% full of recommended 115lbs of corrosion inducing calcium-chloride (CaCl) and 23-gals WATER, each rear ag-bar tire adds about 310lbs of tractor traction enhancing weight. To fill to 90% of 151-lbs of CaCl requires special equipment. Tractors left the factory with "dry" tires ......Dell

Retcol
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wasn't completely accurate in my original post. The Nebraska test said "151 lbs of calcium chloride solution in each tire". I would assume that means it was already mixed with water. Therefore, to me that would mean 302 lbs of the 3375 total weight.It seems like there is about 600 lbs of weight difference.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

quit guessing and double thinking the good advice you have been given

look at this chart.. firt is tire size, then gallons of water to fill 75%, then added weight.. no ballast material.. so add # for ballast like cacl.

11.2-28 27 225

12.4-28 35 292

that pretty much explains it.

soundguy

Retcol
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can do all the preaching and provide all the information you want on solution in tires but this is what it says in the Nebraska Test No. 339. "Weighing only 3375 pounds, the Ford 9N was equipped with three forward speeds of 2.51, 3.23 and 7.48 mph. The test model was furnished with 8.00 x 32 tires plus 4.00 x19 front rubber. For added weight, 151 pounds of calcium chloride solution was added to each rear tire". As a result I think there is a difference in weight specifications.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dell gave you the answer & Soundguy explained it. Too bad you didn't understand either one. Rather than argue, it's not that hard to do the math:

2,410 lbs = tractor
292 water weight + 151 salt weight = 443 lbs per tire

443lbs x 2 tires = 886 lbs

886 lbs + 2,410 lbs = 3,276 lbs

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

and that's 75% fill. if we use the number for the 10-28 ( 11.2-28 ). and add exactly 6 gallons of water to each tire.. which prings it to about 82% fill.. then the weight works out perfectly.

soundguy

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it looks like you are just not doing the math.. add the water weight for 75% volume plus cacl then figure for each tire and you are a meer 99# off.. exactly 6 more gallons of water in each tire brings that to about 82% fill.. and makes the number work out perfectly.

I'm not sure what you are finding hard to reconcile about this...??

soundguy

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those 32 inch rears where an option on the 9N and not a common size tires plus have you even tried to find a 32 inch tire now days?? They are next to impossible to find any more and to even see a 9N with that size on would be rare. Plus if you do not know ALL the Options that might have been on that tractor it is also imposable to guess what it would in fact weigh

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Nebraska Tests are pretty well documented, and I'd bet you could probably bet on their "as tested" weight for that particular tractor.

For comparison, I took a look at my 1952 Tractor Field Book, Tests 443 and 444.

443... 8N

They ran some tests with NO ballast. "As tested" weight WITH OPERATOR was 2717 lbs., and some tests with liquid ballast and cast iron weights, bringing the "as tested" weight WITH OPERATOR to 4043 lbs.

444... 8NAN

"As tested" weight WITH OPERATOR 2717 lbs. before ballasting and 3549 lbs WITH OPERATOR after ballasting.

So the "wet" shipping weight for a 9N of 2410 lbs. probably isn't too far off!

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't forget the weight of the operator is apparently included in the Nebraska Test figures.

Retcol
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think you are reading the Nebraska Test information. It says calcium chloride solution not just calcium chloride.

Darby Creek
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N Weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 9n has 32 inch tires,so i guess the old girl is rare,but i think i'll let her go before she needs new shoes.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N Weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, fine. You do the math then.

How much does a gallon of water weigh?

How many gallons are in each tire?

How much does the salt weigh?

Add it up, see what you get & have the courtesy to post back.

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N Weight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Foghorn_Leghorn/ltfl_062.mp3

http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Foghorn_Leghorn/ltfl_060.mp3

Last edited by Dunk on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.