Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferguson TO-30

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthews

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Ferguson TO-30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The gas tank over heats and the gas boils. I discovered its missing a heat shield on the manifold. I notice another TO-30 that had one bolted on. Where can I find one? Do you think this will eliminate the problem?

Jeff-oh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ferguson TO-30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The TO-30 did not have a manifold heat shield. This was a bandaid fix the other person did.

If your gas boils then you may be running too hot.

Look to these easy fixes first.

1) are Radiator air passages clogged? (This was my issue when my gas boiled) Mowing creats chafe which can become logged in the air passages. Take compressed air or a water hose and blow the radiator clean. Blow/shoot water from the fan side fwd. to clean out the passages. You should be able to see through the radiator. b) fix/ straighten any bent cooling fins.

2) Check that you have proper coolant level and mixture in the radiator. (Fluid should at least cover the core) i.e when you look in all you should see is fluid.

3) check to see that your radiator hoses are not colapsing and cutting off coolant flow.

4) check to see if you have a properly working thermastat and that it is properly installed. (it is in the upper radiator hose BTW)

5) check to see that you are not running the carb too lean as this will elavate the engine temp.

Checking these items and fixing any issues should clear up your problem.

You may also want to check out my article on Ferguson Tractor cooling systems in the June 2009 issue of the Ferguson Furrows.

Jeff

John (UK)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ferguson TO-30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should make sure that the Carb mixture is not too weak and that the ignition timing is not retarded, either of these will make it run hot. Check that the Radiator is not blocked externally and preventing air being drawn through it. BUT they did do a shield for the manifold, it attached to the studs that secure the Valve Cover and prevented the heat rising onto the tank. It simply covered the manifold and came out to the side so that when the heat was rising it cleared the Tank. Nothing too technical at all. But I would look more closely at the Tractor as it is first, not many had that shield and they didn't all run hot like you say yours does.....John

marlowe

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ferguson TO-30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have 5 to-20s and everyone of then will boil the gas and have been doing it for 50+ years. gas boiling point is very low. i have never heard of any TO blowing up as long as the cap is vented. have seen Fords boil the gas also so don't worry about it and run the thing

Jeff-oh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ferguson TO-30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never seen or heard of a heat shield on a TO-30. Can you point me to the PN or page it is on in the parts manual. Only one I knew of it from the TED.

Thanks
Jeff

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.