Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Semi Trailer Tractor Sheds

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn F.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Semi Trailer Tractor Sheds Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have long had the desire to convert an old semi-trailer into a storage shed for my CASE tractors.

Our house is set on the northeast corner of four heavily wooded acres. While an old trailer is certainly not a thing of beauty, I think I could spot it out of sight from the house, road, and neighbors. The one person I have yet to convince is my wife....A little too Readneck for her tastes.

My thoughts are, it will be in the back of our property, trucks removed, set on a crushed rock or concrete pad, a row of lights across the ceiling, a roll-up door and exterior flood lamp on each end, possibly a service door on the side, and painted a neutral color.

While I am quite the collector, I am also concerned about neatness. My goal is to have all of my cars and tractors on site in a somewhat "attractive, permanent" storage facility.

How many of you have done such a thing? Any photos to share?

Thank you,
Glenn F.

MSD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Semi Trailer Tractor Sheds Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check if your zoning permits it. My son had one that the county made him remove. They didn't allow trailers as they called it to sit over a certain amount of time.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Semi Trailer Tractor Sheds Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have had several van bodies for storage. Got rid of them all. They are a haven for mice, even with poison out all the time. You might consider a shipping container. I am told they are rodent proof, but I have not actually seen one in use. They look to be an ideal thing if they are in deed rodent proof.

Lefty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Semi Trailer Tractor Sheds Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check into those container freight units,generally 8x8x20/8x8x40.They are becoming somewhat of problem accumulation on some areas.Shippers from oversees are figuring the cost into the cargo price,so that when the box arrives,it becomes the buyers problem.US is saturated with them for in country shipping,and it's not cost efficient to move them around empty,or ship them back to originating country empty,so they tend to accumulate.From a cost of 3-4 thousand retail a few yrs back,I've recently seen clean solid 40"s selling for under 2K,and 20"s as low as 1K&change delivered by brokers.Set on simple pad or stringers,you're at step in height,and also not paying/dealing with the semi trailer's running gear,parking legs & weight......Just a thought

big jt
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Semi Trailer Tractor Sheds Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a couple of those. There are a couple of issues with them. First of all mice isn't the only critter that can get in them. Most times when they are at this point there are holes in the floor. BIG ones. That is fixable though.

When the wheels are off you still will be up in the air a ways. The one I use for wheeled stuff I put in a ramp of limestone to reach. If you are gonna put tractors in you will need a roll up door. The latches on the swing doors won't clear. I have one with each type of door. The roll up door is pretty much shot and is a pain to open coz the track is such a mess

One other thing to think about is width. Tractors need to fit in the door. not sure if anything with adjustable axles will work need to measure. I think for a 8foot dry van you will need to have a tractor that is less than 7foot 6inches. Keep in mind to get to the front tractor you need to crawl over any that are in the way.

Roofs aren't the best either. both of mine leak and also rain down stuff from the ceiling.

Most of these come with a door part way up for curb loading so there is your service door.

Sorry there isn't much I can do to help on the apperance. You can only put so much polish on this one. At the time I didnt' have a wife to sell the idea to. GF is from India and so far has only spent a day at my place but hopefully she won't demand their removal LOL!

I store seldom used things in mine. Few shop tools that sort of thing.

Am I sorry I got them, no. Would I do it again probably not.

PJH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Semi Trailer Tractor Sheds Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know a guy who took two semi-trailers and set them about 12 ft apart. He then put rafters over both of them, including the space between them. He used the trailers for lockable storage, and the "alleyway" for equipment parking.

My neighbor used an old semi-trailer for hog feed supplement/pig pellet storage. It had a wood sheeted interior (maybe not the ceiling), and he declared it mouse proof.

Paul

Ole Shovel
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Semi Trailer Tractor Sheds Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have seen some put containers not semi trailers on sides and one end and then build rafters over the top for a metal roof. Basically a pole barn with containers for the side and end.

redtom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Semi Trailer Tractor Sheds Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a buddy that has three. they are tight and he uses them for car parts etc. I think all 3 are on the ground. I have one that I left on the wheels and put tight behind my shed so you can't see it from the road. I left it on the wheels for two reasons: I don't think I'm supposed to have it legally but lots of neighbors do and I wanted to be able to move it out if I have to and It won't rot out as fast. that doesn't help you for tractors though unless you built a ramp. Mine is dry and tight with a good floor and never a mouse yet. You can find lots of good ones that are still tight in my area. I was going to suggest swinging doors for ease but never thought about the hinges sticking out. Roll up doors are nice, mine has one, but most are junk when the trailer is retired. they are costly to fix. If you look hard enough you can find a 102 " wide trailer which is really nice. I have 4 cub cadets in mine plus so much junk you can't walk. I think I paid about $800 for mine.

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Semi Trailer Tractor Sheds Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another option is to dig a pit that the wheels can be backed in to-make it deep enough to walk into the trailer, swing the front jacks out of the way and set on railroad ties.

blackbeartractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Semi Trailer Tractor Sheds Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We got a shipping container over the summer. We looked into a trailer unit but the storage containers are a a lot more solid and water tight. It is worth the extra money and no pest problems either.

bc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Semi Trailer Tractor Sheds Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I seen a guy who has about 20 of them out in a field that he stores fireworks in. He must keep them dry and tight somehow.

schmuck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Semi Trailer Tractor Sheds Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am curious, what are shipping containers selling for where you guys are. Around here, (NWMO) the containers are around $1500, then another $300 or so for delivery.

TimMiller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Semi Trailer Tractor Sheds Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have several containers. They work great for storing things. We have one that has an AC unit installed along with lights, and raccoons got in and apparently got in a fight b/c when we last opened it there was blood everywhere. But the others have stayed sealed tight. We also have several trucks that are used as storage units and they all have critters that get in. For critter free storage the best ones are cargo containers. They are made to stay water tight while at sea (salt spray is nasty stuff). Also across 2 of them we had a tarp that was used as an area for the horse to stay under to get out of the rain, until he decided to move under the carport we got for the tractors. If you just want a place to store your tractors, a car port is probably the best way to go because they are fairly cheap and they will come out and put it up for you quickly.

Ken Macfarlane
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Semi Trailer Tractor Sheds Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You lots of container barns and sheds around. Even some 2 story ones around here. Some with wood truss roofs, some with arch-span fabric buildings on top.

504-2
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Semi Trailer Tractor Sheds Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a contractor that is set up permanently on a site(10 year project)two 40 containers site 24ft apart with trusses over them looks and works nice.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.