Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JD450 steering clutches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wood

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: JD450 steering clutches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Am finally getting around to overhauling both steering clutches - one worked and other was stuck with rust. Decided to do both as I am this far into the job.

First clutch (seized one) had only 8 fibre and seven steel plates - the JD book shows 9 fibre and 8 steel. I assume one plate of each was omitted to allow for longer work before re-re to do clutch work. Am in damp BC and the machine was previously used in logging I was told. I figure with more clearance between discs, the less chance of rust seizure. The clutch that came apart was badly rusted up - fibre plates don't look too bad except for surface rust.

What do you experienced chaps do with a clutch rebuild - use book number of discs or one of each less. Also, can the old discs be refurbished/cleaned up enough to re-use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I am finding all sorts of things needing fixing :-(

Thanks

J.

DGH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: JD450 steering clutches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use the proper number of plates. There is no clearance when the clutch is engaged which is all the time except when you steer!! Reducing the plate pack size reduces the clutch clamping pressure so it will slip sooner, not what you want. I would put in new fibre plates, the steel ones can be re-used if in good condition. It takes to much work to get in and out of there to go cheap! unless your time aint worth nothing! I live in BC too!

M Diesel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: JD450 steering clutches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As DGH said, less plates = less time before replacement and will not take as much load. It is the thickness of the pack that matters. I would suspect that somebody may have taken the cheap route.

There is the possibility that replacement plates are thicker too. Not real likely, but possible. When assembling the clutch with new parts you can generally tell pretty easy if too many are installed. You run out of room. Laughing

M Diesel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: JD450 steering clutches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PS: I don't use fiber plates. Bi-metallics are a lot less prone to rust.

John Wood

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: JD450 steering clutches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments - every little helps.
I am not sure that the old discs were JD - probably after market.
I have the same number of new discs installed - 8 fibre, 7 steel. The disc pack top sits about 1/16" above housing face. The pressure plate has to be installed on top of that and bolted down. The replacement parts I purchased were from an after market company and look to be much the same as those taken out.

Just curious about the discs - if they can be reused at all. I am installing all new as I only want to do the job just once.

Any other hints, tips, pearls of wisdom you can share - I am new to these machines and need all the help I can get.

TIA

J.

DGH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: JD450 steering clutches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The old 450 is a good machine if you look after it. The clutches like to be used, long periods of sitting is not god for them. Keep the adjustment of the clutch and brake set properly. I would recommend you get a manual for your machine. You would have a 450 or 450B as the C had oil clutches. Check the bolts holding the frame to clutch housing, frame to front crossmember, crossmenber to trackframe, clutch housing to transmission. All of these can be a problem if not kept tight. Is your a dozer or loader?

Roy Suomi
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: JD450 steering clutches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do not re-use steel plates if there is any pitting at all in them...This allows fiber from the organic discs to imbed into the steels....This causes slipping , fiber against fiber..I always use the wire wheel on my grinder to clean the steels for inspection...You can reuse the fibers if not worn too thin..There is a spec. in the tech manual for thickness...

CHinNY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: JD450 steering clutches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

450 is 8 fibers and 7 steels a 450B is 9 fiber and 8 steels, if reusing fiber check for swelling in the teeth if so don't use. Pressure plate finger should be set withs JD264 gauge and biMetalic best if you can afford them. I sell steering clutch kits and anything else you need for that machine.

Jonathan in MA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: JD450 steering clutches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

... and just a reminder to make sure they are stacked correctly. If you install the center hub first and then stack everything on top of the snap ring thats on it, you won't be able to steer. You have to install a fiber disc and THEN the center hub with the snap ring on it. The next steel plate will line up with the snap ring on that hub... then continue to alternate discs and plates.

Rick Byrd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: JD450 steering clutches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the final drive seal on 450 or 450B could possibly leak into clutch disc and cause them not to release.

moose62
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: JD450 steering clutches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jonathan in MA wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:56:34 10/22/09) ... and just a reminder to make sure they are stacked correctly. If you install the center hub first and then stack everything on top of the snap ring thats on it, you won't be able to steer. You have to install a fiber disc and THEN the center hub with the snap ring on it. The next steel plate will line up with the snap ring on that hub... then continue to alternate discs and plates.

Hi Jonathan, I'm in the middle of rebuilding my JD 450 steering clutches. Right now I'm trying to install my clutch packs in my hub they are not fitting correctly. I'm trying to understand how your suppose to do it according to your instructions.. To me, you have to install the center hub with the snap ring and than put the clutch packs in? I'm doing something wrong!

Can you make it a little clearer for me.

Thank You

Roy

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.