Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4020 Loader Hydraulics

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Wags
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: 4020 Loader Hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1968 4020 diesel with a 148 loader.
Currently the loader is running off the rear two
remotes.

Isn't there a way to add a hydraulic pump to the
belly and run the loader off that one and free up
the rear remotes?

Any help, pictures, part numbers, links would be
great.

Thanks

Jake Winn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Loader Hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You dont need to and another pump. There is a way to add a closed center valve and plumb it to a pressure line on the clutch housing and run the return to a ported filter cover on the LH side of the tractor. I cant remember exactly how to do this. Tim S or BuickandDeere probably know off the top of their heads.

JW

JDTECH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Loader Hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can get your pressure from the elbow fitting that is on the right side right in front of the brake pedals. Install a tee in place of the elbow. Your return oil goes back to a ported filter cover on the left side. This works best with an indedpendent control valve. Good luck.

61-4010
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Loader Hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can also add a second SVC (if you don"t have one already) and lines to run the second set of outlets for the loader. I did that on my 4010 and it"s great!

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Loader Hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is one of those topics where the "correct answer" depends on who you ask.Although most will agree the JD has a very robust hydraulic system with plenty of pressure and flow for a loader.
Ideally the high pressure oil is "T" tapped to an independent set of closed center control valves for the loader.
Then the oil is returned via a ported filter cover. The ported filter return ensures and front pump does not run dry and cavitate.The transmission supply pump has limited flow and it quits pumping when the clutch pedal is pushed.

(AR75603), and one for the longer filter (AR94510)

L55982 COVER (SUB FOR T31170)

Running a loader from the scv's is a mickey mouse arrangement at best.Return flow to the pump is limited and the scv's are tied up.

Farmer Devin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Loader Hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How about attaching control valves or a joystick to the right side loader mast? That way you only use one rear remote.

4020_1966
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Loader Hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am with B and D on this tractor. I had mine off the sCVs (158 loader) and it was abysmal, I mounted a closed center joystick the rh fender and had my JD dealer tap the filter cover for 1/2" pipe and T'd into the rockshaft feed line below the brake pedals, works so much better now, i am a firm believer in this set up for 4020s, dad has his plumbed the same on his 4020 with a 148 loader, much nicer.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Loader Hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The way JDTECH discribed is the best way to hook the loader valve up, and make 'sure' you use a closed center valve for the loader,,accedently putting a open center valve on will cause havic with the system.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Loader Hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How does supplying from one scv remote get around the front pump starvation problem?
Plus it looks silly with a piece of baling wire holding the scv valve open.

44 Diesel Tech
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Loader Hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

buick and deere, you must understand the return oil from the scv returns to filter cover via "internal" routing and oil pipes. But I agree returning oil direct to ported filter is better.

4020_1966
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Loader Hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I recall right (at least someone stated it here before) one of the 2 scvs returns to sump, and one is routed back into the circuit. When I had my loader on the scvs, the mast cylanders never drained the pump prime but the bucket cylanders did every time when I was dumping a load. After I replumbed it that problem is gone. Im not a hydraulic expert just speaking from experiance as a user and someone who spends to much time reading posts here....

Farmer Devin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Loader Hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't realize pump starvation was the main point of this post, I thought it was suggestions of how to free up the rear SCVs. I haven't mounted my 148 on my 3020 yet, so I don't know, but why does the pump get starved? I'm guessing the wieght of the loader sucks oil into the lowering side of the cylinder faster than the pump can supply it?

4020_1966
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Loader Hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pump starvation is due to the rear sump not having the same volume output of the front hydraulic pump. So it easily gets behind the needs of the front pump. It is something to be aware of with your loader. If you plumb the system correctly then your 148 will work great, wrong and it will be slow and cumbersome.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Loader Hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

buickanddeere wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:34:02 11/20/09)

IIRC JD had a spring loaded clip available from parts that caught SCV lever when pushed in correct position to lock lever to eliminate need for baling wire on early & late model New generation Waterloo tractors.

crowntowing
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Loader Hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hello, you wouldnt happen to have the part number for this? I see it in my 48 loader manual but had no luck finding it on computer at john deere.
thank you
buickanddeere wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:34:02 11/20/09)

IIRC JD had a spring loaded clip available from parts that caught SCV lever when pushed in correct position to lock lever to eliminate need for baling wire on early & late model New generation Waterloo tractors.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.