Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 4000 Selecto Shift

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Cross
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Ford 4000 Selecto Shift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a 4000 with the selecto shift. The cable that goes into the top cover is broke. Is there any one on this site that can supply one. Also is there any way to tell if the tranny is any good without bying the cable.

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 Selecto Shift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First we need to know which 4000 you have. Ford made a 4 cylinder 4000 from 1962 to 1964, and then they kept the model number, but changed the tractor completely and made a 3 cylinder 4000 from 1965 though 1975.

There are a few people around that have parts for these transmissions.

If you have a 4 cylinder 4000, check with John Smith at the link below.
John Smith Ford Tractor Parts

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 Select-0-Speed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In addition to Sean's comments, you need to tell us which part of the cable is broken. Is it the stub in the transmission? Or is it the upper cable in the shifter conduit or both?

Also, for future reference, the transmission is called a Select-0-Speed.

Brian Cross
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 Selecto Shift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is a 65 and newer. The cable is broke in the trans. Sorry about the Selecto Shift faux pas. Im an Allis guy and I hate when people advertise there tractors as Alice Chambers.

prostreeter

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 Selecto Shift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not to sound like a expert but i aquired a 4ooo sos with a 4 cyl you can take the top cover off and put a shop towl over the cam assy and take a 5/8 open end wrench and turn the shaft that way like i did till i found out if mine worked also

forddoc
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 Selecto Shift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used cables in stock email open on modern view

Brian Cross
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 Selecto Shift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there any where on the web tp look at Ford parts books. Or any PDF files for service manuals. Found out that the cable is not broke. It came apart when I screwed the cable not off of the top cover and moved the sos handle. Then I pulled the small part of the cable out of the trans mechanism. Should this tranny have 80/90W or ATF. Where do you check it. I moved the selector to all the gears when I had the cover off, and no movement. Any ideas what to check next. Are there any dedicated Ford Websites.

prostreeter

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 Selecto Shift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i use atf in mine and it works fine on that, i would take the pickup screen off to see if there is any debris on it or the valve body might be sticking

forddoc
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: anything movin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

was anything moving internally, any oil flyin out of the top? Are you sure it's pumping?

Brian Cross
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: anything movin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Didnt seem to be any thing moving, no oil flying. No, i am not sure if it is pumping. How do i check the pump. I bought the tractor just for the Allied loader, so i dont know any history on it, but i thought if it wasnt anything serious i would fix the tranny and sell it for a little more. I have been checking other posts and have found out that there is a rearend disconnect lever. Thanks for the help.

Brian

forddoc
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: anything movin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you roll the tractor? If so then yes the rearend disconnect might be out. But if you started it with top cover off, and shifted it with wrench you would of needed to cover with shoprags to keep from getting oil bath. I would lean towards either clutch and input shaft failure or broken pump rotor.

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 Selecto Shift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brian Cross wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:52:24 12/02/09) Is there any where on the web tp look at Ford parts books. Or any PDF files for service manuals. Found out that the cable is not broke. It came apart when I screwed the cable not off of the top cover and moved the sos handle. Then I pulled the small part of the cable out of the trans mechanism. Should this tranny have 80/90W or ATF. Where do you check it.

You can find parts manual PDF's on ebay and other places. Make sure that it is for the proper model, 1965-75 3 cylinder.

You should only use hydraulic fluid that meets the Ford/New Holland 134D specification. Do not use automotive ATF fluid or gear oil. You can find various brands of hydraulic fluid that meet the 134D spec at Tractor Supply and most auto parts strores like Advanced Auto, NAPA and Pep Boys. Some Walmart stores carry it also, but my local Walmart does not, but I've heard that if you can find it at a Walmart you can get the best price. My local New Holland dealer sells the "official 134D" fluid for over $65.00 for a 5 gallon bucket, and my local Tractor Supply sells a couple of differnet brands for $32.00 to $40.00 per bucket, and a couple of times a year they have it on sale for $29.99. My local Pep Boys always has it for $34.99 and never puts it on sale, so I try to but it from TSC when its on sale.

john_Bud
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: anything movin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

forddoc wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:46:38 12/01/09) Can you roll the tractor? If so then yes the rearend disconnect might be out. But if you started it with top cover off, and shifted it with wrench you would of needed to cover with shoprags to keep from getting oil bath. I would lean towards either clutch and input shaft failure or broken pump rotor.

Just remember that if you start it and shift with a wrench, it will take off on ya !

We don't want you to get run over or have your shed trashed by a run away tractor.

jb

forddoc
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: anything movin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yeah I know but he said that he had shifted it through all gears with cover off, and nothing happened

Brian Cross
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 Selecto Shift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cant seem to decipher the numbers to find out what year this 4000 is.
41014E, Means, 4000, Ag, Deisel, 540 pto, SOS
The rest of the numbers are as follows,
C1124988J. Thinking maybe the 8J means it is a 68 built in Sept. There are no other #s on that pad.

Thank's Brian

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.