Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4020 clutch pedal slot adjustment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pat sands

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: 4020 clutch pedal slot adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With a new clutch, does the pedal freeplay adjustment start out in the bottom of the slot or top of the slot? My 4020 is adjusted all the way to the top of the slot, and 2 of the 3 clutch fingers are contacting the TO bearing. I have very little to no clutch (slipping). I think it's time for a new clutch, yes?

Thanks!
Pat

Gerald J.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 clutch pedal slot adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With the bolt at the top of the slot you have minimum clearance. You want 3/4 to 1-1/2" at the pedal of free play. That takes moving the bolt about 3/4" from the end of the slot. If the bolts aren't tight (one in the slot, the other the big nut at the pivot) letting the clutch pedal fly up will slide the clearance away. At least my 4020 did that.

Gerald J.

msb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 clutch pedal slot adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All three finger should touch the throw out bearing at the same time when the pedal is pushed down. As the disk wears the fingers get closer to the TO bearing, so you need to move the adjustment bolt forward to increase the free travel. The free travel should be checked with the throttle pulled down to the first stop or about 2200 engine RPM.

Pat Sands

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 clutch pedal slot adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so with the clutch engaged (pedal "up"), none of the fingers should contact the TO bearing, right? How much clearance should there be between the fingers and the TO bearing? I assume this clearance is known as "freeplay".

Thanks again!
Pat

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 clutch pedal slot adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

msb wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:19:49 12/10/09) . As the disk wears the fingers get closer to the TO bearing, so you need to move the adjustment bolt forward to increase the free travel.

msb
It's been a long time since I adjusted a clutch pedal on a 4020 but I was thinking one moved the bolt towards rear of slot to give more free travel.

msb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 clutch pedal slot adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are right, Jim. Not my first mistake today.lol.

DONMYEIL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 clutch pedal slot adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A new clutch starts at the bottom of the slot.When it gets to the top its shot.

sandman460
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 clutch pedal slot adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can I adjust the fingers to move them away from the TO bearing to "buy" me a little more time? Seems to me that because there are 2 fingers contacting the TO bearing, they are keeping the clutch from fully engaging. One finger is maybe an 1/8 of an inch away.

Thoughts?
Thanks for the help,
Pat

Last edited by sandman460 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 clutch pedal slot adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, you can move your adjustment to about half way in the slot and lock the pedal in a manor that will hold it in place and adjust the fingers out to where they are even,or touching the bearing,they may have been adjusted wrong from the start...

belaw
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 clutch pedal slot adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:15:04 12/10/09)
msb wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:19:49 12/10/09) . As the disk wears the fingers get closer to the TO bearing, so you need to move the adjustment bolt forward to increase the free travel.

msb
It's been a long time since I adjusted a clutch pedal on a 4020 but I was thinking one moved the bolt towards rear of slot to give more free travel.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I didn't see any point in starting a new one. I just purchased a '68 4020 that has almost no freeplay. Right now the adjusting bolt is about 2/3 of the way down the slot.

To gain more freeplay do I move the bolt to the bottom of the slot or the top? To ask the same question another way, do I have 1/3 or 2/3 of my adjustment range left?

FWIW the seller says that there's about 1,500 hours on the clutch.

Last edited by belaw on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 clutch pedal slot adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To gain more pedal free play move bolt in the slot towards the rear of tractor

belaw
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 clutch pedal slot adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:20:16 02/28/13)
To gain more pedal free play move bolt in the slot towards the rear of tractor

Great, looks like I have over half of my adjustment range left.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.