Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8N Can't remove ball joint from Pitman arm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard 8n anderson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: 8N Can't remove ball joint from Pitman arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can anyone give any advice on how to remove the ball joint from the Pitman arm? I have removed the nut from the back side and was hoping that it would just pull through. But I have beat and pried on it with no luck.

Thanks
Richard

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Can't remove ball joint from Pitman arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

richard 8n anderson wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:17:37 12/18/09) Can anyone give any advice on how to remove the ball joint from the Pitman arm? I have removed the nut from the back side and was hoping that it would just pull through. But I have beat and pried on it with no luck.

Thanks
Richard

John Smith's Page on it.
http://home.att.net/~jmsmith45/rep.htm#q15e

Hobo's Page on it.
http://www.theviperr.info/hobo_dnn/Default.aspx?tabid=82

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Can't remove ball joint from Pitman arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Richard.......this has been answered many times, you may want to check the "archives" at the top of the page.

But for you special......."smack'em".....thats right, with yer NUT still on to protect the threads, take 2-hammers, BIG heavy hammer head on 1-side of yer balljoint and "smack'em" hard with 1-lb hammer. That will usually "pop" the tapered pin loose. Iff'n it don't the first time, smack'em again, harder.

Some claim that they "wedge" a solid support between the tranny and the balljoint threaded nut and smack the steering arm and that will pop the tapered pin loose. yer choice .......Dell

D.B. in Mi.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Can't remove ball joint from Pitman arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it not a good ideal to use a pickle fork on them or is that a no-no?

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Can't remove ball joint from Pitman arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The right sized (for the shaft) 'pickle fork' will do the job nicely, however, the rubber 'boot' will be roont (ruined). The boots are readily avaiable at your local automotive store (NAPA for instance)and/or many other sources. HTH ---Remember, the 'boots' are OLD, and need replacing anyway. HTH

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Can't remove ball joint from Pitman arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A simple $10 or less pickle fork does it fast and easy and ya it will mess up the boot but those are only a buck or so and most likely are bad from being years if not decades old any how

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Can't remove ball joint from Pitman arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

richard 8n anderson wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:17:37 12/19/09) Can anyone give any advice on how to remove the ball joint from the Pitman arm? I have removed the nut from the back side and was hoping that it would just pull through. But I have beat and pried on it with no luck.

Thanks
Richard

A pickel fork should only be used if you plan to not use the end,,, Dunk posted 2 EZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ways to remove'em with NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAMAGE to either the part

The advice to use a PF is pizzzzz poor advice...

WARNING Shocked all I know I read on the Internet,,, do it enuff and you can become a guru also,,, not responsible for damages,,, I read it and just pass it along,,, proceed with caution

richard 8n anderson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Can't remove ball joint from Pitman arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for everyones advice. I took the advice Dunk offered by going to the link of Jim Smith. Placing a wedge between the transmission housing and the threaded end of the joint was a winner. I tapped the Pitman arm with a punch and that tapered section jumped right out.
Many Thanks
Richard

D.B. in Mi.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Can't remove ball joint from Pitman arm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

glad to here you got it without too much aggravation.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.