Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9N rear outside oil seal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eldon Barnes
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: 9N rear outside oil seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Need some help here, how do you get the outside bearing/oil seal apart from the shaft. I was thinking of a 10lb sledge hamer and a 2x4 but I thought I'd ask an expert before I started. Smile

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N rear outside oil seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the axle or the PTO shaft?
50 Tips

Eldon Barnes
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N rear outside oil seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry, axel.

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N rear outside oil seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you just needs seals, then just pack the bearings and place sureseals.

Eldon Barnes
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N rear outside oil seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I guess this will prevent oil from leaking onto the break pads. What lubricated the outlide bearing on the original design, after disasembly of the hydrolic pump,PTO and rear axel I see there are quit a few gaskets/seals missing from this tractor and trying to understand how this tractor ran without them.
Thanks again

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N rear outside oil seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Originally, the bearings were lubed with hydraulic fluid. If leaking oil on the brakes is the only issue, then sureseals are the answer.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N rear outside oil seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Eldon Barnes wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:18:58 12/23/09) Need some help here, how do you get the outside bearing/oil seal apart from the shaft. I was thinking of a 10lb sledge hamer and a 2x4 but I thought I'd ask an expert before I started. Smile

Depends,,, if you want to fix correctly one time and be done with it replace the outer seal also,,, it you are a gambler cover up the mess with a sure seal.. a sure seal is nuttiin more than a deflector that helps keep the axle oil out of the bearing,,, nuttin sure about it,,, if and they always are the outter seal is bad it will leak grease on your shoes

if you are willing to go for the kill You are gonna have to cut the bearing out with a torch are make a special tool to press the hub off...

[img]

WARNING Shocked all I know I read on the Internet,,, do it enuff and you can become a guru also,,, not responsible for damages,,, I read it and just pass it along,,, proceed with caution[/img]

John Smith8N
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N rear outside oil seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:50:21 12/24/09)
Eldon Barnes wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:18:58 12/23/09) Need some help here, how do you get the outside bearing/oil seal apart from the shaft. I was thinking of a 10lb sledge hamer and a 2x4 but I thought I'd ask an expert before I started. Smile

Depends,,, if you want to fix correctly one time and be done with it replace the outer seal also,,, it you are a gambler cover up the mess with a sure seal.. a sure seal is nuttiin more than a deflector that helps keep the axle oil out of the bearing,,, nuttin sure about it,,, if and they always are the outter seal is bad it will leak grease on your shoes

if you are willing to go for the kill You are gonna have to cut the bearing out with a torch are make a special tool to press the hub off...

[img]

WARNING Shocked all I know I read on the Internet,,, do it enuff and you can become a guru also,,, not responsible for damages,,, I read it and just pass it along,,, proceed with caution[/img]

That's a good looking press fixture, I could use one of those. How many ton on the press? Has it got enough arse to press off the collar and bearing at the same time or do you cut the collar first? I probably wouldn't have to ask if I was a guru, but I ain't. Not even an expert, just a regular.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N rear outside oil seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John Smith8N wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:33:03 12/24/09)
Hobo,NC wrote:
Eldon Barnes wrote:

Depends,,, if you want to fix correctly one time and be done with it replace the outer seal also,,, it you are a gambler cover up the mess with a sure seal.. a sure seal is nuttiin more than a deflector that helps keep the axle oil out of the bearing,,, nuttin sure about it,,, if and they always are the outer seal is bad it will leak grease on your shoes

That's a good looking press fixture, I could use one of those. How many ton on the press? Has it got enough arse to press off the collar and bearing at the same time or do you cut the collar first? I probably wouldn't have to ask if I was a guru, but I ain't. Not even an expert, just a regular.

25 ton,,, it pushed the first one off I tried (luck of the draw),,, set up a few more and I did not want to force the issue soooo,,, I took a air chisel and used it to rotate the collar on the axle about 1/2" (rotate not try and knock off) then reinstalled the puller,,, it removed the next 5 that way no problem... all 6 wheel bearings were saved ,,,worth the effort doncha think...

I don't think any one could make a argument that the outter seal does not need to be replaced,,, the purpos of the puller (other than I hate to cut all that mess out) was to save the beaing and do the job corectly...

I am sure you can build one (better) now get at it...

Another guy from arkansas build one from my chicken scratch out of pipe and he said it worked great...

One day I was a newbe and the next day a guru,,, Shocked Some how I got shoved to the front of the line Cool Now if i could get rich the old fashion way,,, inherit

WARNING Shocked all I know I read on the Internet,,, do it enuff and you can become a guru also,,, not responsible for damages,,, I read it and just pass it along,,, proceed with caution

Last edited by Hobo,NC on Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Smith8N
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 9N rear outside oil seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:02:48 12/24/09)
John Smith8N wrote:
Hobo,NC wrote:
Eldon Barnes wrote:

Depends,,, if you want to fix correctly one time and be done with it replace the outer seal also,,, it you are a gambler cover up the mess with a sure seal.. a sure seal is nuttiin more than a deflector that helps keep the axle oil out of the bearing,,, nuttin sure about it,,, if and they always are the outer seal is bad it will leak grease on your shoes

25 ton,,, it pushed the first one off I tried (luck of the draw),,, set up a few more and I did not want to force the issue soooo,,, I took a air chisel and used it to rotate the collar on the axle about 1/2" (rotate not try and knock off) then reinstalled the puller,,, it removed the next 5 that way no problem... all 6 wheel bearings were saved ,,,worth the effort doncha think...

I don't think any one could make a argument that the outter seal does not need to be replaced,,, the purpos of the puller (other than I hate to cut all that mess out) was to save the beaing and do the job corectly...

Another guy from arkansas build one from my chicken scratch out of pipe and he said it worked great...

One day I was a newbe and the next day a guru,,, Shocked Some how I got shoved to the front of the line Cool Now if i could get rich the old fashion way,,, inherit

WARNING Shocked all I know I read on the Internet,,, do it enuff and you can become a guru also,,, not responsible for damages,,, I read it and just pass it along,,, proceed with caution

Don't see any way to improve on the design, the square tubing looks to be the way to go for a good strong weld on the top side. If the bottom flange can be double drilled to also fit the 600-800 axles that would be a right handy thing to have around. I'm adding it to my "list".

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 9N rear outside oil seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John Smith8N wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:51:33 12/24/09)
Hobo,NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:02:48 12/24/09)
John Smith8N wrote:
Hobo,NC wrote:
Eldon Barnes wrote:

Don't see any way to improve on the design, the square tubing looks to be the way to go for a good strong weld on the top side. If the bottom flange can be double drilled to also fit the 600-800 axles that would be a right handy thing to have around. I'm adding it to my "list".

Let me know what you come up with for the 600 deal,,, also when I torched the center hole out for the first plate I got it a tad off center so had to make another,,, I then worked on the fudged upped plate and it make a nice SS installer are lets say a good starter by using the hub stud holes to help start the SS...

Hobo's gold mine (scrap pile) 2 1/4" x 1/8" X 22 1/2" square tube'n,,,, hub plate 1/2" and 3/8" plate for the top ( 3X11") are what it takes to fit yer press...

The 1/8 tube'n took more than i thought it would

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.