Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Convert 6 Volt Generator to 12 Volt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKV
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Convert 6 Volt Generator to 12 Volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anyone know what parts are needed to convert a 8N 6 volt generator to a 12 volt. I dont want to add an alternator to it. I want to keep the original look---I have heard it can be done but dont know where to get the parts..Thanks

730d se
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Convert 6 Volt Generator to 12 Volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I get mixed answers on this question for the old Delco Remy short 6 volt generator. One source says that only the coils need to be changed, the original armature (if working) can be used.
Another source says that both the coils and armature must be changed.
I am very interested in what you find out.
As for parts, search the Net, should locate some. Ebay likely has some also.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Convert 6 Volt Generator to 12 Volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MKV, In theory at least a genny doesnt necessarily know what its output is, its increased by a) Turning it faster or B) Pumping more amps through its Field coils. I have successfully used a 6 volt genny to charge a 12 volt battery simply by use of a 12 volt Voltage Regulator

NOTE Before people start getting all up in arms over the above be advised Im NOT SAYING ITS ENGINEERING CORRECT OR THAT IT CHARGED AT A VERY HIGH RATE, IM ONLYYYYYYYYYY SAYING IT CAN WORK. Gennys are still designed subject to 6 or 12 volt parameters and for x amps max field current so making them charge at 12 volt by pumping more field amps could possibly harm the genny over time, although the ones I jury rigged never had a problem.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO its BEST to do an engineering correct conversion which would at the MINIMUM involve changing out the field coils. The armature is more of a a current sensitive/concerned/limited (ampacity and heat dissipation etc) device and as long as the armature current isnt greatly increased it could work okay (my VR ONLY swaps allowed them to still work). Some 6 versus 12 volt genny armatures Ive seen do have a difference in commutator bar segment sizes so its best of a professional shop with specs and data can determine if an armature change out is needed NOT WHAT MYSELF OR OTHERS HERE MAY GUESS ABSENT ANY REAL DATA OR ARMATURE SPECS.

I would EITHER take it to a shop such as Kenneths at Classic Generators down in Texas or a local mom n pop Generator repair shop (not many around anymore however) or else buy a new used or rebuilt 12 volt genny or else (at your own risk) try a jury rig like I did and just use a 12 volt Voltage Regulator BUT IM NOT RECOMMENDING THAT mind you, just educating people concerning how gennys work in theory and how they can increase their output by turing them faster or pumping more amps through their field coils....

NOTE be sure and get a correct Voltage Regulator, most tractors used a Class A charging system while some Fords used a Class B and they are NOT interchangeable.

Best wishes n God Bless

John T

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Convert 6 Volt Generator to 12 Volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, bolt on a 12 volt generator. Trying to convert a 6 volt gen to 12 volt is a waste of time and money. Especially since there are older 12 volt generators around that look pretty close to your original unit.

You gen ought to be a two-brush model rated at 10 amps max at 7 volts. Even if you COULD make it run at 13.5 volts, you'd be lucky to squeeze 4-5 amps out of it at full throttle. And, that's not going to happen with the original armature.

It's hard enough to change or adjust regulators and make that thing work with an 8 volt battery (we did that with many). Most 6 volt generators can be made to just barely charge an 8 volt battery, but considering the high cost of 8 volt batterys, it's rarely worth the bother.

440roadrunner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Convert 6 Volt Generator to 12 Volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jdemaris wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:57:04 12/26/09) Trying to convert a 6 volt gen to 12 volt is a waste of time and money. .

This is surely true in the majority of cases, but in a few there's a good reason. Flathead V8's for example, use a rather proprietary mount, and so far as I know, there never were any "12 volt" flathead V8s

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Convert 6 Volt Generator to 12 Volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, and in those specialty "oddball" jobs, there are many ways to do it, if you've got time and patience. I've seen Model T Fords with motorcycle 12 volt alternator guts hidden inside other components. All depends on what you've got, what you want to spend, and what you want to see when you get done. With an 8N? Seems it's going to have a 12 volt battery anyway, so it's not going to look 100% original regardless - unless that battery gets stuck inside a faux 6 volt box.

Fact still remains, that a 10 amp generator is pretty useless as an 8 or 12 volt unit unlike you change some major internal parts. To keep all looking the same, using an 8 volt battery is usually the best compromise.

MKV
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Convert 6 Volt Generator to 12 Volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for everybodys input.I had an AC WD years ago that I had a 6 volt generator converted to 12 volt---made night work nice with the 12 volt bulbs not to mention it starting quickly. Since the the gentleman has passed away.It can be done I just wish he showed someone how.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert 6 Volt Generator to 12 Volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NO secret was taken to the grave.

It's been done before and it will be done again.

Find a nearby auto-electric shop that's still in business or contact Ken's in Texas as the other poster told you.

If it's a later 8N with the generator mounted on the LH side it wouldn't take much modification to mount a wide variety of 12 Volt generators in that bracket.

If it's an older unit with the generator on the RH side, using the more "odd" mounting I wouldn't be surprised if the simplest "fix" wouldn't be to put the "guts" of a newer Ford 12 Volt generator in the belly of the 6 Volt generator.

Just be sure the 12 Volt generator and 12 Volt voltage regulator "match". The 8N generator is an "A" circuit system as are Delcos.

The Ford 12 Volt generator that followed the 6 Volt units are "B" circuit units.

Jon Hagen
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert 6 Volt Generator to 12 Volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is usually something on Google, this may help.
6V Ford generator to 12V

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.