Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

front wheel assist 4020

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fire dept 4020
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: front wheel assist 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anybody seen a front wheel assist 4020? Is there an aftermarket or oem axle.

44 Diesel Tech
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: front wheel assist 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes. I have worked on many HFWA drives. A number of different models, including a 2130. All OEM axles.

Gerald J.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: front wheel assist 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was a hydraulic driven option. It wasn't strong and a great many have been scrapped in favor of unpowered front axles. If you see a 4020 with 20" front rims, its probably a FWA, if the motors and gears are still intact.

Gerald J.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: front wheel assist 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are "rare" around here, there usto be two 4020's and a 3020 with HFWD 60 miles east of here, , they aren't much good but collectable I guess..I've often wondered if they are still there...I know about every tractor in a 50 mile raduis of here, there are still a couple of 4430's and 4630's with it still on them, one of the 4430's is setting in the weeds beside a "brand new" 4960 with "0" hours, weeds growing up around it since it was parked new,,no we don't know why for sure but it's still setting there, I can't get a pic of it onto the computer but I have one on my phone....

blinwmiaol.com
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: front wheel assist 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

there also is an aftermarket front wheel assist that was mechanically driven using the same front axle that IH used. I see about as many of those around here as the 4020 HFWA. We do have several 4620 HFWA around here though.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: front wheel assist 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've seen pics of them never saw one up close. I saw an 8N ford with MFWD on it out at Rantul last summer, a lot of effort for nothing..I have never seen any of them around here..

wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: front wheel assist 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am farily certain that Elwood made the axles for the IH tractors, and made other aftermarket kits as well.

blinwmiaol.com
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: front wheel assist 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes there were Elwood fronts used but also there are some out there with Coleman front wheel assist.

larryanderson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: front wheel assist 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The hfwa became available in 1969 on the 4020s.That option was around $2000 if I remember right[I might not be exactly right]they had issues and are now only sought after as collectors.There were very few 3020s and even fewer in gas tractors.They were available with power shift or syncro.The basic same setup was offered thru the 40 series with basically same issues..The 50 series brought the MFWD that are popular and work great.The coleman and elwood were bolt on aftermarket and the colemans didnt turn and I dont know much about Elwood except they look different.JD used the basic setup on choppers and combines and there have been several put on powershift tractor.If you have a 3020 gas powershift hfwd or 4020 it would be a rare one.The number made MIGHT fit on one hand.Problem is I dont know if anyone knows the number as I know the PS Syncro number is an educated quess.Thats one thing that makes selling or collecting a good pastime

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: front wheel assist 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree, we sold some 44's and 46"s with the HFWD, they were about like haveing an 8N bolted up front, the only one left that we sold around here is the one setting in the weeds, I think it's okay, the guy just quit and every thing is in the weeds...The one 4630 we sold the guy was unhappy with it,,he was running it against a 2670 Case 4X4, no way it was going to keep up..

low budget

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: front wheel assist 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just saw a 4020 diesel powershift with HFWA and full M&W turbo kit a few hours ago in my machine shed. True they were not a great system by todays standards, but remember the aftermarket systems were converted truck axles that took 40 acres to turn. The modern front axles we have today simply did not exist.

jwjr

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: front wheel assist 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i need parts for the colmen unit
(1)yoke, (1)power ring
any leads will be grate
thanks

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.