Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8N Distributor Point setting

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoC
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: 8N Distributor Point setting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When replacing the points, I am not able to get the gap open to .025. The maximum is .015.

The adjusting screw does move the plate and opens and closes to the .15.

How do I adjust the distributor to get a wider gap?

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Distributor Point setting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you ask a question here, itís usually a good idea to tell us:

1. The model of your tractor (2N, 9N, 8N, NAA, etc).

2. If it is 6v or 12v.

3. If itís an N, if the distributor is on the front or side of the engine.

4. If it has any major parts that are not OEM, such as electronic ignition, a side coil on a front distributor, etc.

Troubleshooting is different depending on the model of the tractor, voltage, ignition system & distributor placement.

The point gap is different on the front & side distributors. So is setting the timing.

When you post back w/ enough info for us to answer your question, also tell us where you got the points & the brand name.
50 Tips

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Distributor Point setting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bet you got your self a set of them cheap junk TSC points that are not worth the $$ to even go look at them. Take them back and buy a good set of points like blue streak or B/W. Also and this is important. Is yours a side mount or front mount distributor??? ONLY the side mounts are set at 0.025 and the front mounts are set at 0.015. Set either one wrong and they will not run well if at all and as Bruce says MORE info for use to be able to help you with out use guessing what you may or may not have and that in turn can lead to wrong answers

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Distributor Point setting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So we are to ASSUME this is a LATE 8N with a side-mount distributor since you are trying to get a point gap of .025"?

(You are setting them with the rubbing block of the points on the HIGH POINT of a cam lobe, RIGHT?)

Annoyed of Bruce

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Distributor Point setting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce you must think you are some kind of genius because every time some one asks a question without giving YOU all the information you need you respond the same way every time with the LIST. I think that your list of required information is a joke and that you should stop posting if that is all you are going to post, it's annoying and I have seen people answer questions without all the information you need.

The guy might have bought the wrong points?

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Distributor Point setting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for your constructive input. When I do get to your genius level of IQ, I'll just answer all questions like this as if the guy has a frontmount.

So, without knowing just what he is working on, maybe you should be helpful & just tell him how to fix the problem. Guess. You have a 50/50 chance of being correct.

Go ahead. We're waiting.

Jubilee85 (VA)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Distributor Point setting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not that Bruce needs any help, but it sure does HELP if someone TELLs what type of tractor they have, no point giving someone "wrong" information based on the first thing that pops in ones mind.....like Dell says....I dont read minds.....so why dont you ADD input rather than put down someone that IS TRYING TO HELP.....old saying is very true ....you get more bees with honey than vinegar.

Jubilee85 (VA)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Distributor Point setting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I learned long ago.

and it is still true ....

"YOU CAN'T HUMBLE AND IDIOT"

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Distributor Point setting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Amen!

And what's even funnier, the guy thinks he can hide behind an IP address! Sometimes those "change your IP address" directions don't work very well.

Jubilee85 (VA)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Distributor Point setting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i spent a few minutes doing a little search myself.....gave up ....no sure I want to know..

i think i am going out and move some more snow with the 53, bought a very nice pair of boots from cabelas, let see if my feet get cold.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp;jsessionid=TZ2QAB2HPKYELLAQBBKSCOVMCAEFAIWE?id=0020833830435a&navCount=2&podId=0020833&parentId=cat20574&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20574&hasJS=true&_requestid=78054

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Distributor Point setting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need to get out there myself. As far as boots go, about all I have left from my Army days that still fits me are boots. All the fatigues shrunk.

Yea, it took a few minutes to run down the address. Interesting results!

Jubilee85 (VA)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Distributor Point setting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

like to know who.....

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Distributor Point setting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well What Bruce says is 100% correct and with out the info on a person tractor like front or side mount 6 or 12 volts etc. etc etc it is hard for us to be able to help them. Just because Bruce may have it set up so he can answer the same way is just fine. Just think if you went to see a doctor and you told him I hurt and that was it then what could he do but give you a pill which probably would not help the real problem so back off JACK @ss

JACK @ss

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Distributor Point setting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just went out to where my two 8Ns are one front mount and one side mount guess what? the points are not interchangeable you can't adjust them correctly.MoC might have bought the wrong ones, like I did say in my first post(look at the bottom of the first post). When I was an Aircraft mechanic in the Air Force we used to call it trouble shooting, that is when you don't have all the answers but are still able to fix the problem. I don't care if you know who I am just ask and I will email you my address , the last time I put my e-mail on this site a guy would not leave me alone 100 plus e-mails,I think it was because I was able to answer to many of his questions without a lot of my own.
And when one of you guys can humble me I will be happy to admit it. I am glad that you guys all stick together though, good for you!

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Distributor Point setting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JACK @ss wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:23:53 02/05/10) I just went out to where my two 8Ns are one front mount and one side mount guess what? the points are not interchangeable you can't adjust them correctly.MoC might have bought the wrong ones, like I did say in my first post(look at the bottom of the first post). When I was an Aircraft mechanic in the Air Force we used to call it trouble shooting, that is when you don't have all the answers but are still able to fix the problem. I don't care if you know who I am just ask and I will email you my address , the last time I put my e-mail on this site a guy would not leave me alone 100 plus e-mails,I think it was because I was able to answer to many of his questions without a lot of my own.
And when one of you guys can humble me I will be happy to admit it. I am glad that you guys all stick together though, good for you!

Well, you may have answered someone's question without knowing facts in the past but you struck out here. He didn't say that he couldn't install points....he said he couldn't adjust to proper gap. If he had wrong side/frt points he couldn't have even installed them.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.