Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just how long will welding rods last

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckinnc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Just how long will welding rods last Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It finally happened my plant is shutting down so now I am considering trying to "get by" doing a little welding & light machine work.
I normally buy rods in 5 lbs packs from TSC so they will be fresh but now I want to buy them in 50lb boxes. My paln is to keep them in the house and bring out what I need to my shop, my guess is they would last longer there than in my semi insulated backyard shop. But how long would they last? Do they have a expiration date?

WantACaseLASomeday
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how long will welding rods last Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably depends on what rods you are talking about. Some require drier storage than others, for example. Also depends on how long you are talking about - a month or a year? You can go to lincoln electric dot com and ask their experts:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/askus/default.asp?section=knowledge

WantACaseLASomeday
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how long will welding rods last Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgot to add that I am sure sorry to hear about your plant closing. There is way too much of that in this country now. Good luck to you in your new venture!

keh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how long will welding rods last Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do that and do a lot less welding than you are hoping to do. They last for years. Hint: get a 4 inch PVC pipe the length of the rods, glue a cap on one end, store rods in it for the shop. Use a loose cap on the other end, it will keep rods dry.

KEH

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how long will welding rods last Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They will last for years. If you’re dealing with any low-hydrogen rods doing non critical / non code work, just throw them in the oven for a few hours so they’ll run like brand new out of the can.
I have some 3/32-309 and 316 that are at least 25-years old, they run fine. Wink

Tramway Guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how long will welding rods last Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Low-hydrogen rods (and probably others) need to be kept in a warm, dry environment. That's why welding shops have specialized storage for them.

DickL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how long will welding rods last Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I buy a 50 pound tin box of 7018 at a time and sets on top of the welder for probly as long as 5 years some times before I need another box. Never had a problem with it going bad. The welder sets in the tool room which is kinda like the center of the factory with no outside walls. I ran six rods last weekend.

Bodyman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how long will welding rods last Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I grew up around a lot of welding and the boys had an old refrigerator with a good door seal and kept a 100 watt bulb in the lowest point and the rods on racking above, don"t recall rods ever shedding the coating or getting rusty or causing any type of problem. Just a thought.

flying belgian
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how long will welding rods last Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I poke mine in a 5 gallon bucket of oats. I've got some must be 10 years old. They work fine. Have to change the oats more often then the rods.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how long will welding rods last Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently tried some rods that were maybe 15 years old and wasn't too pleased with the result. I bought some new ones and the difference in the welds was startling.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Just how long will welding rods last Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chuck, if the "in nc" in your handle stands for "in North Carolina", moisture is likely to be a problem for most rod types. 6010 and 6011 are the exception: they love water. But for anything else you might want to consider making some sort of oven to store them in. Doesn't make much sense to use "low hydrogen" 7018 if you don't keep hydrogen (in the form of water) out of it.

chuckinnc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Just how long will welding rods last Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep it stands for NC. Its good to here 6011 will
survive here, it"s the rod I use most often for reparing rusted farm implements.
So it looks like 50lbs of them & buy the rest as needed, as a side note unemployment in Catawba co.
is 15.9% so I hope someone can afford to have things repaired.

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Just how long will welding rods last Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use the same setup just to keep the refreshment thawed in the winter-but with a smaller bulb. It"s in the cold part of the shop.

135 Fan

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Just how long will welding rods last Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You don't need a good door seal. If there is any moisture, it has to have a way to get out. Rods can last indefinately if kept dry and out of the elements. Keeping them in the warm house, instead of a cold garage, till needed would be a good idea. You can get plastic containers with a screw on cap for storing rods and that's all you need. Unless you're doing real critical stuff, you don't need a rod oven and even then only low hydrogen rods like 7018 are stored in an oven. 6010 and 6011 need a little moisture because they can dry out too much. Dave

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how long will welding rods last Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a 50 lb box of 6013 in 1965 for 9 bucks.They work fine,kept in upstairs bed room.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.