Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 4000 HD industrial Year unknown

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Pavka III
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Ford 4000 HD industrial Year unknown Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought this Ford 4000 backhoe loader,4 speed trans., Diesel.
The numbers above the starter are 1821-D, and 52183 I know the
D is for diesel, trying to figure out a year. Any suggestions greatly
appreciated.
THanks for looking

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 HD industrial Year unknown Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You don't have a 4000, you have a 1958 1801 series Industrial tractor. It should have a heavy cast iron grille.

Andrew Pavka III
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 HD industrial Year unknown Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks
I was told differently when I bought it.

Andrew Pavka III
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 HD industrial Year unknown Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As for Parts, what years and series are compatible?
I am very new to this and trying to repair the darn thing.

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 HD industrial Year unknown Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The engine is the standard 4 cyl, 172 cu in model that was used from 1958-1964.
I believe the 1801 series has a unique cable operated steering system that is no longer serviceable. Owners have to get the steering system out of a later 4000 Industrial to replace the original.
One of our Industrial experts will provide more information.

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 HD industrial Year unknown Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If wanting parts, you'd better find someone with the correct parts books and/or microfiche because many of those industrial and HD industrial parts are different then anything else. My local dealer was always geting part #s wrong. I finally found another old-time Ford dealer who sold me all his parts microfiche for $10 and it's been a blessing. Fiche for all the four cylinder industrial tractors, backhoes, and loaders with four cylinder engines.

john_Bud
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 HD industrial Year unknown Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Andrew Pavka III wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:44:53 04/13/10) Thanks
I was told differently when I bought it.

Since when does the owner know what they have? Laughing

Here's a picture of a 1801 series HD Industrial tractor.

Here's a picture of a 4000 series HD Industrial tractor with loader. Note the difference in colors used.

Andrew Pavka III
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 HD industrial Year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My tractor looks way more like the bottom picture,
The frame is white and the Main drive train is blue. I have a front loader and
backhoe on the machine.

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 HD industrial Year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The model number that you originally posted (1821-D) indicates that it is an 1801 series. Since the number is stamped into the transmission housing it is possible that you have a 4000 with a transmission out of a 1821.
It is common for people/dealers to paint the older red and gray (or buff in the case of industrials) Ford tractors with the newer blue and gray (or buff) and then sell them as a newer tractor. I'm not saying that's what happened to you but it's certainly possible.

Andrew Pavka III
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 HD industrial Year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, greatly appreciated!

Tony Jacobs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 HD industrial Year unknown Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Andrew , The 1801(red&gray) was built from 1958-1960 , the 4040(red&yellow) was built 1960-mid 1962 , the 4140(blue&yellow) was built from mid 1962 - 1965 . They are all basically the same tractor with minor improvements over the years as well as color changes gas or diesel , 4 speed or select-o-speed only NEVER a 5 speed . Where are you located ? What do you need ? I have parts and tractors about a dozen of them currently , some pieces are still hard to find . Call my shop if you like 1-413-267-5087 . Thanks Tony Jacobs

Andrew Pavka III
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 HD industrial Year unknown Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As for parts, Just the basic stuff, I have to change all hydraulic lines for loader and backhoe, fuel lines, the throttle linkage is messed up, the electrical is rigged. I have to swap out the rear end, and rebuild the loader control valve, needs tires. And the list goes on and on. THis is going to be one heck of project. Especially when I don't have a garage to do it in. "Shady tree Mechanics" LOL

There is a "ford" grave yard located in Attica, ohio I have to check out. the tractor is near Youngstown, ohio.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.