Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

backhoe removal on Ford 4500

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fairchild

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: backhoe removal on Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need advice on how to remove my backhoe from my 4500. I have to pull logs, and with the backhoe on, the tractor feels top heavy on hilly terrain. Or is it just me? Also, I need to know how to position the thing for removal so that I can get it reinstalled without a crane!

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: backhoe removal on Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you going to do it on concrete?
Got another tractor/backhoe/machine/? to do the heavy lifting for you?
If you answer no to both questions I would use the backhoe to help erect a couple of posts with a beam across the top. Use the tractor's own hyds to get it off as far as it can then use the beam and comealongs to pull it the rest of the way. Leave it hanging there till you need it again.

Jack L
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: backhoe removal on Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't have a 4500 but an Industrial 4000 with a backhoe. On hills the boom will swing, probably because the pins are worn and when it hits the stops it feels like you're going over. It's quite a momentary adrenalin rush.

If you check the archives, John Bud did a very detailed instruction on how to remove a backhoe safely.

Jack

john_Bud
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: backhoe removal on Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, it's in the archives.

Basically, lay down a sheet of plywood under the hoe. Extend the dipper stick out about 1/2 way, curl the bucket all the way and lower the boom until the pressure is off. Lower the stabilizers. Now loosen the connecting hardware. Should be 2 nuts that are about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". Somewhere in that range. I actually have different ones on each side -- stuff happens over 45 years....

Then pull the connecting hardware up and back out of the way. It will be sort of stiff unless you have done it recently. With it out of the way (the hoe won't jump off), slowly raise the hoe by pressing down with the stabilizers. Raise it up (and straight by manipulating the dipper stick) until it is free of the saddles (bottom connection point). I like to put 3 or 4 strong jack stands under the hoe box on top of the plywood. 2 in the back and 1 or 2 in the front. Then lower the box down onto the stands, but still at least 2" clear of the saddles to allow for settling. The shut off the engine, take off the hoses, loop the hoses. The smaller one goes on the TRACTOR SIDE and the larger lower pressure return hose is looped on the hoe side. Then just drive off.

Hopefully, you are on a dead flat area. If not, situate it so you drive off slightly uphill. That will make reattachment easier. The trick on it is to get close and use the hoe hydraulics to move the last couple inches. Hopefully you have enough hose to do that. (I don't and it's a PITA).

RickB
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: backhoe removal on Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why an overhead beam and come-alongs when the backhoe has all those cylinders and the tractor has a hydraulic pump? Work smart, not hard.

JF in CT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: backhoe removal on Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What weight are you going to replace it with? When I take the backhoe off my 4500 it barely has the traction to drag ITSELF on a level surface let alone some logs. Keep that in mind.

Jim

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: backhoe removal on Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to reread my post.

Ecnerwal
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: backhoe removal on Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How are you pulling logs?

john Bud's description is pretty much exactly the factory method for backhoe removal/installation. The hoe gets itself on and off, using its own hydrualics. No fuss, no muss, no complications. You can actually pull the tractor a few inches forward without running out of hose and get the hooks out from under the pins. But then you have a light-rear tractor that does not want to move much unless you fabricate a weight box (or go hunt down a Ford original - good luck with that). If going that route, a weight box that also had an arch built in, with a winch (hydraulic, preferably - you have scads of hydraulic power on a 4500, and a wimpy 22 amp generator) would be a great stride down the path to skidder-hood, but it's too much bother for the amount of logging I do. It also costs too much - I'm decidedly cheap, though I will sometimes spend a lot of money and effort in the name of larger-scale cheapness.

I use my 4500 in the woods - pretty much exclusively - the only road it's been on is the 400 feet of dirt in front of my land, and the 700 feet of driveway through the woods that it built.

I use the hoe for twitching - put a chain grab hook on in place of one tooth, or weld a hook to the bucket (the tooth placement gives more motion). With the 13 foot hoe I can get almost 20 feet at a whack, and the control is much better than dragging while driving. Having yarded a few logs, I pick them up with the front loader bucket (3 hooks and a section of chain) crosswise, and drive. If your backhoe bucket is not limp-wristed (I either have a bad control valve, or need a new cylinder, since repacking did not fix it) a thumb offers more log-handling versatility.

The hoe can be flattened out to put its weight further down and back. It can also be swung to the uphill side, which no other counterweight can manage. This won't work if you are in a hurry, but being in a hurry will kill you some other way if you keep at it long enough in the woods. Especially hilly woods (oh yes, I have hills - and rocks.)

I have sometimes wanted the hoe off just to increase maneuverability, but I have managed without just by taking my time and figuring other ways to wiggle through the trees. Or cut another one down.

Last edited by Ecnerwal on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:20 pm; edited 4 times in total
john_Bud
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: backhoe removal on Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ecnerwal wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:32:53 04/27/10)
But then you have a light-rear tractor that does not want to move much unless you fabricate a weight box (or go hunt down a Ford original - good luck with that).

That is a very good point. Taking off 3000-ish pounds of weight behind the rear wheels changes the machine. On my 4140 HD, without loaded tires or wheel weights the there is very very very little traction at all.

Not sure on the 4500 (it's probably a BIGGER number), but the 4140's were recommended to have filled tires adding 1600#, the heavy wheel weights and the hoe or a 2200# weight box. That's over 5000# of weight on the back axle or beyond!

William Fissell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: backhoe removal on Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the question how are you pulling logs is important. Will a 4500 pop a wheelie if your log gets wedged against something? Backhoes can make good wheelie bars. I know.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.