Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Pontiac fiero 1984 overheating problem

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnoliverguy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Pontiac fiero 1984 overheating problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1984 pontiac Fiero and recently rebuilt it. It has a 2.5 liter in it. It will run fine down the road without over heating but as soon as you stop it heats up to around 240 degrees. There is NO thermostat in it because that was the orginal problem. When you are driving it down the road and you put in the clutch the idiot light on the dash comes on for the tempature and the motor dies. Does anyone have any ideas on what the underlieing problem is?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pontiac fiero 1984 overheating problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have a bad "ground" connection somewhere between the battery, engine, and chassis/frame.

mnoliverguy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pontiac fiero 1984 overheating problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Does That have to do with the overheating problem or the stalling when pushing in the clutch?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pontiac fiero 1984 overheating problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be the cause of BOTH problems.

Use ONE lead of a pair of jumper cables... put one end on the battery (-) post and the other on a clean metal spot on the engine block. Any change? if NOT, try going from the (-) terminal to the body/chassis/sheetmetal/frame and see if the helps. If it DOES, find the existing ground and repair it or run a new, permanent ground strap.

Otherwise, keep looking for a wiring problem... note if the engine moves when the clutch is depressed and if that movement pulls, stretches or squeezes any wiring at the engine or dashboard end of the system. (I can't remember if they have a cable-operated or a hydraulic clutch.)

mnoliverguy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pontiac fiero 1984 overheating problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks alot Bob. I will try that.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pontiac fiero 1984 overheating problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where are you in MN? I'm in ND, but get down to the Fargo area quite often

rockyhawaii
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pontiac fiero 1984 overheating problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Interesting fact? about the Fiero. They were supposedly designed to use up a large stock of 4 cylinder engines built for the 1963 Chevy II. I'd check if your missing thermostat is the problem, as well as the fans.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pontiac fiero 1984 overheating problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by "no thermostat because that was the original problem". You pulled the thermostat before you rebuilt the engine and never replaced it?

Is the cooling fan working when it's stopped?

Have you run a pressure check of the cooling system to make sure you don't have a head gasket problem?

Is it boiling over or just indicating that it's overheating?

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pontiac fiero 1984 overheating problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That "interesting fact" about the Fiero is simply not true.

Dean

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Pontiac fiero 1984 overheating problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The one's I know about had the front wheel come off going down the road and some burned up. Quiet a followers of this vehicle. Search fiero clubs. One thing is when the engine is changed out for a bigger one be sure you get the black box from the vehicle the engine came from. It was a test car for GM and the plastic skin covering.
Have the fan checked.

Bryan in iowa

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Pontiac fiero 1984 overheating problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You NEED a thermostat . it's there to slow coolant flow down so it spends more time in the radiator . Have you verified that actual temp of the motor ? If you are ok on the highway this indicates an airflow problem. If your cooling fan is not working it could be few things . Bad fan motor, no power to fan . Possible bad coolant sensor , fan relay , or wiring . Check grounds , also check wiring harness by clutch cable , make sure nothing is rubbing when clutch is moved .

iowatom
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pontiac fiero 1984 overheating problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you do not have a thermostat in it the water circulates too fast. It doesn't stay in the radiator long enough to cool down.

Sean Feeney
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pontiac fiero 1984 overheating problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsShelf.jsp?displayName=Thermostat¤tPage=1&categoryDisplayName=Cooling+%26+Heating&navValue=16300047&itemId=47-0&parentId=63-0

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pontiac fiero 1984 overheating problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remember that they all did that when new. I thought that they never fixed it and built very few of them.

rockyhawaii
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Pontiac fiero 1984 overheating problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dean, I just checked the internet, and what I found says the engines were often "confused" Then I found one website that says the "GM Iron Duke 2.5" WAS used in the early Fierro, as well as in welders, forklifts, etc. My nephew had an 84, and I'm sure he bought parts for it at NAPA, and they counterman mentioned "Nova parts." Doesn't matter, but out of curiosity I'm gonna research this.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters