Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bent axle?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Bent axle? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The front wheels on my (newly purchased)3 cyl diesel "72 4000 SU with loader stand out at the bottom - between 10 and 15 degrees from true vertical on both sides. A tractor mechanic here tells me it should have a positive camber (out at the top a tiny bit). The horizontal parts of the knees slant up strongly and the vertical part is cocked way out at the bottom. (The knees align well with the axle where they bolt up.)

Would I be thinking crazy if I figured someone has overloaded it and bent the center axle?

Any other reason likely for the cocked wheels? Wrong center axle? Wrong knees?

JimL

Greg_Ky
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent axle? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SU is special utility IE weak 3000 series front axle.

RickB
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent axle? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First thing I'd check is the bolts fastening the knees to the center section. partially sheared and holes chosen too close together will make it sag. Set the axle narrow, place the bolts as far apart as possible.

JimL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent axle? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. I don"t have it here to check how close the bolts are, but the knees do line up edge to edge with the center piece.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent axle? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

here's a front shot of my 68 3000 diesel.. it has the same 'light duty' front end of a 4000 SU

look similar?

soundguy

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent axle? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An SU would not be the best loader tractor.
One way to improve it would be to put a 3400 front axle under it. Basically the same wishbone steering but much stouter. I understand Ford did make a tractor in that 4000 rear/3400 front configuration. Called it a Woods tractor as it had a higher ground clearance. Came with a cast iron oil pan and made the tractor plenty stout.

JimL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent axle? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the picture; I'm glad to have something to show what mine is really supposed to look like.

Similar indeed. Of course there are differences. Mine has power steering and other differences. But the obvious thing is in my description of the knee positions. I see a slight slant up/out in the picture. As I indicated, mine are slanted much more, causing the wheels to sit at an angle cocked out at the bottom. It looks like it's squatting ready to do something smelly.

The center and the knees are aligned the same - edge to edge. But the center is obviously bent up to the outsides compared to the picture.

I foresee a problem figuring out what angle to correct the bent part to once I get the loader off and the dis-assembly done. But I guess one can hang/prop the knee/wheel assembly with the wheels vertical and measure the angle of the horizontal part of the knee.

Thanks

JimL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent axle? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, that's very interesting.

I'm curious how a person would go about finding such an axle. Perhaps they have them in the same place they sell hen's teeth?

All jokes aside, I could stand a taller axle, because I do not need the low profile of an SU model. At the same time, I wonder how much a bucket of dirt can hurt it. Now I have some rocks that might do the job. I parked them with a Case back hoe that wouldn't even lift them off the ground. I had to go in bursts that caused the front to rise a little.

I hope we can get this one to do the yard filling and gravel spreading I need done. Maybe I'll have to cinch a chain between the spindles to keep them from spreading! (I just had a gal say she liked me because I'm crazy.)

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent axle? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

might be easier to get a non bent center axle section.

soundguy

perhaps one of these.. or simply a junkyard or salvage part better than yours..

Support Front Axle - Front axle center support. For Models: 2000, 2100, 2110, 230A, 231, 234, 2600, 2610, 2910, 3000, 3100, 333, 334, 335, 3600, 3900, 3910, 4100, 4110, 4140, 4600SU, 530A, 531. (Part No: C7NN3010F) $119.90

Support Front Axle - Front axle support. For Models: (2000, 3000 1965 to 71970), 4110, 4140. (Part No: C5NN3010D) $218.91

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent axle? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd hit a tractor salvage yard.. or post an add looking for a front axle. it's not a commonly replaced item.. might be some laying around for you.

soundguy

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent axle? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yep.. if they cock out at the bottom, I bet that center axle is trashed.

does it look welded on or modified?

soundguy

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bent axle? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where are you located?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.