Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Case 450 dozer how do you tighten tracks?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MontyB
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Case 450 dozer how do you tighten tracks? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Case 450 dozer at an auction, the tracks are loose and need to be tightened. The seller said you could put shims in to tighten them. How is this done? I have never owned a dozer before. Thanks in advance for any help.

curtis larson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 450 dozer how do you tighten tracks? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a square plug on the track guard. Take out and under it is a grease fitting. Use your grease gun on the fitting. When you pump it the tracks will start to tighten. Do not tighten them too tight. Run the machine fwd and back a little check again. Replace the square plug. Curtis

135 Fan

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 450 dozer how do you tighten tracks? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It might depend on which model of 450(450, 450B, 450C etc.) if it has hydraulic track adjusters(grease fittings for tightening). The idlers probably use shims to adjust them side to side. I'd guess that you want about 1 1/2 to 2 inches max. sag from the top carrier roller to the idler. This can be measured with a long straight edge. Line up a track pin in the middle of the top carrier when measuring and then measure where there is the greatest distance from the track pad to the straight edge. If the straight edge sits on the grouser bars, measure to the top of a grouser bar, not the flat part of the pad. You don't want the tracks too tight or they will wear out real fast. I'm sure you could google additional information on adjusting tracks. Dave

Case450
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 450 dozer how do you tighten tracks? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run my machine with 1.5" of sag between the top middle roller to the front idler.

Charles Irland
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 450 dozer how do you tighten tracks? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the guy told you to put shims in it that probably meens its time for some major track work, take it to a reputable dozer repair facilty and pay the shot, about 4-grand probably. sorry to say this guy may have taken advantage of your not havng knowledge of dozers.
In the past I have made good money repairng SHIM jobs on track adjusters for guys who were taken advantage of, they took the guys word for it and hired a shade tree to SHIM the iddler/adjuster and ended up doing more damage than good.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.