Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grain Header on IHC 715 Combine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Cooke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Grain Header on IHC 715 Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the model number of the head on my combine. It's the old style where the feeder house is part of the header. It has a Love cutting bar with a pitman drive knife. I can't seem to determine what the model number on this head is.

Albert Grindle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Grain Header on IHC 715 Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don"t believe the old-style heads have a model number. For part references, look up the 715 itself.

zanecovert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Grain Header on IHC 715 Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

check your owners manual for the combine it might tell you what heads fit you machine then you can go from there

1968 403
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Grain Header on IHC 715 Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How are you doing Albert. As far as I know there is no model number on the old grain heads. They are a good head especially if they are equipped with hydraulic reel drive and the robot header control for soybeans. The sickle drive is basically trouble free.

Curt Cooke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Grain Header on IHC 715 Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm glad to here that the sickle bar is trouble free. My concern was that the action of the pitman was going to shake every part of the machine loose.

James22

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Grain Header on IHC 715 Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IH sold a coupling that would up-grade the old style combines which had the feeder house going with the head, to a unit that would use the new style quick attach heads. I bought one and used the front mounting plate to make a 3pt head mover. The remainder is setting in the machine shed, thought eventually someone could use it.

Albert Grindle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Grain Header on IHC 715 Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1968 403 wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:25:39 07/21/10) How are you doing Albert. As far as I know there is no model number on the old grain heads. They are a good head especially if they are equipped with hydraulic reel drive and the robot header control for soybeans. The sickle drive is basically trouble free.

Hey Keith, I'm doing great. I sent you an e-mail last week on my 403 update. Must not have got it????

1968 403
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Grain Header on IHC 715 Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Albert I haven't checked my Emil in a few day's I will check it now

1968 403
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Grain Header on IHC 715 Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The sickle drive is much less trouble than the wobble box on the 810,820 series head. The pittman rod set up runs smooth. The sickle must be timed every time you remove the sickle but it is easy to do . Keep the sickle drive greased and check to make sure the two big bolts in the knife drive bell crank are tight.

Curt Cooke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Grain Header on IHC 715 Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks all! This head has a love bar and tiger jaw knife. When in operation the vibration is significant. I cut 25 acres of rye with it without incident, it seemed the vibration was extreme. It reminds me of my Moline tractors; when you get started you can't believe they'll last a day - but they just keep going.

Tim(nj)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Grain Header on IHC 715 Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not sure on the Love bar, but the old Hart-Carters had rubber bushings in the stabilizer that had to be replaced periodically. They'd crack and the vibration would start getting worse.

1968 403
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Grain Header on IHC 715 Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those old heads run very smooth. The vibration must be coming from the love bar.

LDL

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Grain Header on IHC 715 Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the vibration occurring when you are cutting the rye? I've never cut rye but in oats you have to lock the Love bar up like it was rigid before cutting in grasses. In soybeans I lower it so it can float. My Love bar on my E Gleaner is very smooth.

Curt Cooke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Grain Header on IHC 715 Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't lock it in the up position and I suspect you are correct, I should have. I had to cut quite high to avoid the ragweed. Later (when I was done) I thought that the problem could be the angle - and that's probably the case. Thanks

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.