Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford select-o-speed transmission

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Douglas Shelton

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Ford select-o-speed transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Ford 871-D. It was sold to me as a 1961 4000.From what I've read it does not have the improved sos tranny.I was plowing a couple of weeks ago and when I stopped and shifted to reverse it wouldn't move. No sounds of any trouble from the transmission. I thought at first it was a broken cable, but after moving the release lever to disengage the transmission and towing to my shop, I found the cable OK.I think it might be a leak in one of the hydraulic cicuits. Anybody know where I can get a 0-300 psi hydraulic gauge to check the servo points as described in the I&T manual? The fluid was a little low when I checked the dipstick and I filled it to the full mark but no joy. Any other suggestions as to the cause of the malfuncton? Thanks,Doug

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ford select-o-speed transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First, the SOS oil level does not check with a dipstick. It is checked at the level/fill pipe plug below the front of the right running board.

Second, if you're going to do anything serious to this transmission, you really need the Ford factory service manual.

Third, look at the casting numbers above the inching pedal pivot shaft. If they start with a C prefix you have the newer style transmission. If not you still have the original.

Finally, what other ratios don't function besides reverse? Possibly 9 & 10? This will pinpoint a specific clutch or band malfunction. Reverse alone is not enough to do the pinpointing.

An added thought or two after pondering this. Are you saying the transmission does not operate in any ratio now? Or is it just reverse? Does the PTO spin? If the PTO does not spin and the transmission is totally inoperative, you've taken out your torque limiting clutch and/or input shaft. This is a front split repair. Do not remove the input shaft from the transmission without using due caution not to drop the thrust washer. If you drop this washer, you'll do a rear split and total teardown to retrieve it. If you're only missing reverse that you're aware of, we're back to my finally paragraph above.

Last edited by Larry NCKS on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Douglas Shelton

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford select-o-speed transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. I checked the fluid level at the location you recommended, and it is full. The casting numbers are as follows: 312259 then a space and Ao. Below that are the letters CWC. Below that is a dot F239 and a dot. The transmission does not operate in any gear thus the need to tow it to my shop. I checked the PTO shaft and it turns as it always has even when disengaged, but could be stopped by hand when disengaged. Now, I can stop it even when engaged. Sounds like you might be right about the clutch and/or input shaft. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Doug.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ford select-o-speed transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Douglas Shelton wrote:
(reply to post at 17:41:55 07/23/10)

You have the original ORC (over-running clutch) transmission.

I'd suggest a front split for inspection of the TLC and input shaft.

F239 is the original transmission build date. It translates to June 23, 1959.

Last edited by Larry NCKS on Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.