Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to start a Ford 3600 Model

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William P. Rice
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: How to start a Ford 3600 Model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A friend has a 3600 model ford and wants me to mow some weeds! I have red the manual, but, how or what is the procedure to go thru before using the key for starting??? I've cleaned terminals, checked battery volts, even jumped battery but nothing when I turn the key! I've placed gearshift in N. plus the 2 speed lever in N. plus set parking break plus placed powertake off in "off position" plus depressed clutch (fully down)plus lift levers fully in down position!!!!!! Help Thanks Bill

Kirk Grau
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: How to start a Ford 3600 Model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty much set Hi-Lo selector in neutral and turn key all the way over should get the thing spinning. If no response start following wires and verify voltage at the right places.

If it is spinning and won't start post back for further advice re. fuel shut-off/bleeding/etc.

Kirk

Robert Cook
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: How to start a Ford 3600 Model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my 4100 can be finnicky; I hold the key in the start position, and have to wiggle the high low selector; at times I thought the battery was flat, but it was just the neutral switch acting up

Kirk Grau
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: How to start a Ford 3600 Model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah,

My 3600 was acting like that for a while and then finally just refused to start. Actually ended up being a bad battery cable. Took me forever to narrow it down, cable would let me measure voltage with a meter, but when it actually need to flow current it was corroded enough that nothing happened.

Kirk

mhb@ufe
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: How to start a Ford 3600 Model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is a diesel and has the replacement switch you may not be turning the key far enough. The new style switch has two spring loaded positions when turning the key clockwise. The first one is for the thermostart and the second is to engage the starter.

Mark

bweb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How to start a Ford 3600 Model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 3600 gasser did that once. Traced it down and it was a bad neutral safety switch. I pulled the lower dash sheet metal panels off and bypassed it to get it in the garage. Make sure you are on the tractor when you try and start it though, it will start in gear.

sotxbill
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: How to start a Ford 3600 Model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

usually wiggle the high low lever back and forth to wake up the neutral safety switch...

if not clean wires at battery and at starter...

make sure battery is charged..

many people die by starting it on the ground... be in the seat when cranking...

William P. Rice
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How to start a Ford 3600 Model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Kirk Your idea was right on target. I had a chance to try out your suggestion today and it worked, except the battery wasn't fullly charged. The tractor is located about 10 miles away from where I live, so Ill get back with a charger and go from there. Thanks to all of the suggestions. Bill

William P. Rice
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How to start a Ford 3600 Model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gentlemem: I was able to use the starter today for the first time and still the engine wouldnt start!!! I tried tp turn off the gas and broke that part, then I removed the glass sediment bulb, cleaned, (all the while the gas was running from the tank-into a funnel and container). The seal was bad and used a o-ring to seal the top of the bowl.. Tapped the carb. thinking that the needle valve might be stuck..No luck. Pulled a plug and checked for spark! None. Im giving up and contacting a friend that is a real mechanic. Bill

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.