Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ford 2120 problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tazzer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: ford 2120 problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Iv got a ford 2120 that when you put it in gear it may go 10 feet then stop like it sliped out of gear but it has not, I can kill it and wait a sec. or two and it will do it all over again sometimes it will go a 100 yards or so any ideals what to look for?

thanks

Brian in MA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: ford 2120 problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I assume it is the compact Japanese made 2120 you have from late 80's-90's. What tranny does it have? Is it the 12X12 shuttle shift? Have you checked your hydraulic fluid level, or possibly the hydreauic filter? My guess is that it could be an issue with the hydraulic pressure associated with the shuttle shift. Other than that, clutch issues maybe? Has it always had the correct fluid in the tranny? The clutches are know to delaminate and break down if you use "plain" hydraulic fluid instead of hydraulic transmission fluid. Just my thoughts based on the information in your original post.

tazzer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: ford 2120 problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brian in MA wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:22:08 08/03/10) I assume it is the compact Japanese made 2120 you have from late 80's-90's. What tranny does it have? Is it the 12X12 shuttle shift? Have you checked your hydraulic fluid level, or possibly the hydreauic filter? My guess is that it could be an issue with the hydraulic pressure associated with the shuttle shift. Other than that, clutch issues maybe? Has it always had the correct fluid in the tranny? The clutches are know to delaminate and break down if you use "plain" hydraulic fluid instead of hydraulic transmission fluid. Just my thoughts based on the information in your original post.

Brain
the tractor came with the place we just baught a few months ago, I have not done anything with but got on it to move it and found that it was doing this, I went back and check and looks like there is water in the fuilds Im guessing this may be the cause of it.
it was tossed in the deal so if I have spend some money on it I think it will still be a good deal beside the little tractor starts right up and runs great and yes it the 12X12 shuttle shift are they any good?
I have a ford 5600 im using also so Im not in a big need of the smaller 4x4 one yet

Brian in MA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: ford 2120 problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, given that it is new to you, the first thing I would do is replace all fluids and filters so you know what you have to start with. Be sure to get New Holland 134 compatible hydraulic fluid for rear/tranny. I use the New Holland brand fluid in some tractors, Tractor Supply fluid in others, but it must be the tractor type transmission fluid, not just plain hydraulic fluid. I also use Rotella 15W40 engine oil in the engines on all of my diesel tractors. Those are not bad tractors or transmissions, but they need the correct fluid. They can be expensive to fix if you need to do a rear split and replace the clutches in the rear end. The 5600 is probably my favorite Ford tractor, but when doing smaller chore work, the 2120 will be a great asset to you. Post back once you change the fluids and let us know if that took care of your problem.

tazzer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: ford 2120 problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brian in MA wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:03:01 08/03/10) OK, given that it is new to you, the first thing I would do is replace all fluids and filters so you know what you have to start with. Be sure to get New Holland 134 compatible hydraulic fluid for rear/tranny. I use the New Holland brand fluid in some tractors, Tractor Supply fluid in others, but it must be the tractor type transmission fluid, not just plain hydraulic fluid. I also use Rotella 15W40 engine oil in the engines on all of my diesel tractors. Those are not bad tractors or transmissions, but they need the correct fluid. They can be expensive to fix if you need to do a rear split and replace the clutches in the rear end. The 5600 is probably my favorite Ford tractor, but when doing smaller chore work, the 2120 will be a great asset to you. Post back once you change the fluids and let us know if that took care of your problem.

Brain
thanks for the tips and Ill let you know how it works out, it may take me a few days Im starting gravs so I wont get much done Evil or Very Mad

dkeyes52@gmail.com
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 2120 problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tazzer we have the same tractor and it does the samething took it to new holland and they could not fix it. And it only does it in warm weather not cold. If you find out what the problem is please write back.
And they said the transmission was fine. Thanks

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.