Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CLEANING MY GAS TANK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmlarsen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: CLEANING MY GAS TANK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been having problems with debris clogging my fuel lines so decided it was time to pull the hood and clean the gas tank on my '51 8N.
I emptied the tank and flushed it with water. Out came big chunks of something resembling pieces of rubbery caulk. I'm guessing this is from a past attempt to line the tank. Question is how do I thoroughly clean the tank of all this residue or should I not worry about it? I am planning to reline the tank

JerryS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: CLEANING MY GAS TANK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take it to a radiator shop. Let 'em boil it out and seal it with one of the new generation products made for that.

Devious
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: CLEANING MY GAS TANK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mr. Larsen I have seen posts on here just like yours and some advised taking the tank to a radiator repair place and have them clean it out good etc. I would thta myself as I have no other way of doing it and there are a lot of little radiator places around me. They can also leak test it after at lots of places. Devious

Bill M. From Illinois

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: CLEANING MY GAS TANK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Eastwood Company sell DIY products to clean and seal gas tanks also.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CLEANING MY GAS TANK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rmlarsen wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:25:51 08/03/10) Been having problems with debris clogging my fuel lines so decided it was time to pull the hood and clean the gas tank on my '51 8N.
I emptied the tank and flushed it with water. Out came big chunks of something resembling pieces of rubbery caulk. I'm guessing this is from a past attempt to line the tank. Question is how do I thoroughly clean the tank of all this residue or should I not worry about it? I am planning to reline the tank

rubbery caulk

does not sound good,,, I would invest in a new tank.... leave the mess someone made for the scrap pile... lined tanks done rite hold up well,,, done wrong is a fudgen mess... never seen a line job done by a radiator shop done well,,, theirs more to it than a dip and coat....

Tim M.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CLEANING MY GAS TANK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know here in the Detroit area cost to boil out and line a tank was twice the cost of a new tank. Had bought a tank liner for a motorcyle and decided against it after reading numerous bad reveiws.

Ramrod
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: CLEANING MY GAS TANK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can (I have) use a temp gas tank from a mower, and jack up one side of the tractor so that wheel will spin. Then, use padding and straps to tie the tank to the wheel so it will spin. Add a small bucket of square nuts and bolts to the tank, put in your ear plugs and let it spin for a couple of hours. The tank will be pretty clean afterwards, and then you can seal it up, or take it to a good radiator shop for cleaning and sealing. My tank still doing fine after several years.

Last edited by Ramrod on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Devious
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: CLEANING MY GAS TANK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Ramrod I was wondering what I could do to get the rust and crud broke loose from the tanks I have off right now before I tried to seal them and this sounds like a good way. I have three of them I need to refurbish.

Devious In Humble Tx

Devious
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CLEANING MY GAS TANK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Ramrod, do you think that about a gallon of loose change dumped in the tank and shook up like you mentioned would work.??

Devious

Ramrod
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: CLEANING MY GAS TANK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That wouldn't hurt, but the sharp corners on the square nuts are better. Hex nuts would work too. Come to think of it, change might not be hard enough. I would use steel stuff as an abrasive. I remember thinking about this way back when I did mine, finally just broke down and bought a couple of boxes of square nuts.

JerryS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: CLEANING MY GAS TANK Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Turning your tractor wheel into a tumbler is a real interesting idea, and one I'll probably use at some point to clean rusty items. However, I'm not sure how well it would work on a fuel tank. My tank has one or more baffles that would interfere with the travel of whatever abrasive element is used, and you might not get a uniform scouring of the surfaces. I emphasize 'MIGHT NOT'; it may work perfectly.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.