Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery jump from 12 volt car to 6 volt 8N, what happens???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron in South Dakota
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Battery jump from 12 volt car to 6 volt 8N, what happens??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So as you can tell I'm not the most mechanically minded tractor owner.

My Dad was a Auto Body Repair man and he taught me that oil and paint (car enamel) don't mix. So I learned how to do body work, but very little engine, ignition work (under the hood stuff).

Just wondering if my 8N tractor will not start this winter and battery is dead, then what?

Can you use a regular battery charger (car,marine) on 6 volt system?

Any KIND thoughts accepted...

bgarrett
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Battery jump from 12 volt car to 6 volt 8N, what happ... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it works but I always was concerned, so leave the 12V on as briefly as possible

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Battery jump from 12 volt car to 6 volt 8N, what happ... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can jump start a 6V tractor from a 12V car by connecting your jumper cables to the car's battery and then connecting them directly to the tractor's starter. If your tractor still has a Positive Ground electrical system you will connect the Positive cable from the battery to the starter housing and connect the Negative cable to the starter's stud. This will spin the starter. You will have the tractor's key switch turned to "On" so that 6V will go to the coil and provide ignition. DO NOT push the tractor's starter button.
Warning: If you do not understand these instructions completely do NOT attempt to do this. If you do it wrong you can blow up your tractor's battery and no telling what else may be destroyed.

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Battery jump from 12 volt car to 6 volt 8N, what happ... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make Damn sure it is out of gear before jumping with 12 volt direct to starter. Otherwise when it turns over and starts it takes off in the gear selected!

Never jump the 6 volt battery with a 12 volt battery! Only direct to the starter.

oldhousehugger
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery jump from 12 volt car to 6 volt 8N, what happ... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My friend LV is just now getting his 8N back from another friend who repaired it after it was being jumped with a 12-volt battery. Actually I think the story went that he bought a 12-volt battery and stuck it in not even thinking about the consequences.
Which in fact were a fried coil and voltage regulator for starters (no pun intended). I don't know about the rest of the wiring in the dashboard. He says it works fine now. I guess they were successful in transplanting a 12-volt alternator and battery into it with some serious modification such as resistors to reduce voltage to the fuel gage and lights.

Brian Jasper co. Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery jump from 12 volt car to 6 volt 8N, what happ... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have done it many times with no problems. Just make the last connection away from the battery.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery jump from 12 volt car to 6 volt 8N, what happ... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is why I am an advocate of going to 12V.
Even a woman or a stripling lad of 13 knows how to jump 12v to 12v. But a grown man - and not a stupid one either - often has to ask how to jump a 6V off of 12V.

negeorgia boy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery jump from 12 volt car to 6 volt 8N, what happ... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Be sure and heed the warning about hooking 12 volts to 6 volt battery. As said, jump it to the starter and make sure the transmission is in neutral.
You also asked about hooking a 12 volt charger to the 6 volt battery. I assume to charge the 6 volt battery. NO, DO NOT CHARGE THE 6 VOLT BATTERY WITH A 12 VOLT CHARGER. Most newer chargers do not have a 6 volt selection, though some of the older ones may have it.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery jump from 12 volt car to 6 volt 8N, what happ... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Actually you can charge a 6V battery with a 12V charger. Hook up a headlight in series on the + lead of the charger.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery jump from 12 volt car to 6 volt 8N, what happ... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not me.

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Battery jump from 12 volt car to 6 volt 8N, what happ... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depending on the type of charger, putting some resistance in line between the charger and the battery could allow you to charge a 6 volt battery from a 12 volt charger, but I would use more resistance than a headlight would provide. Maybe the resistors that they use to run a 6 volt coil in a 12 volt system would do it, but then again, you can still buy 6 volt chargers for not too much money. Some of the more modern chargers like the battery tender won't even start charging until it detects a certain minimum amount of voltage, I think the 12 volt battery tender requires 9 or 10 volts to start, but they do sell a 6 volt battery tender.

Philthytoo

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Battery jump from 12 volt car to 6 volt 8N, what happ... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just a thought: if your not sure don't try it. I saw a kid in high school do it wrong and blow the battery up (of course he was looking at it when it blew), not something I will ever forget...

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.