Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmall M Disc Brakes?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve_E
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Farmall M Disc Brakes? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a Farmall last year (the decals are all Super M, but by the serial # it is a "43 M). Im lovin" it - havent been on a tractor in 20 years and glad to be back in the seat. My issue is that the brakes are prety bad, so I took everything apart and realized it has disc brakes instead of bands - doesnt seem right for a "43 from what Ive read, so I figure I must have a newer chassis with an older powerplant. Anyway, the discs are almost to the rivets, so I ordered a new set and when I got them them noticed that the ones I bought (and all the others Ive seen for sale) have 12 splines for about an 1 7/8" shaft. My tractor has a 2 3/8" shaft with 26 splines. A guy in town told me that only Olivers had a 26 spline shaft for the disc brakes? Does anyone have any advice for where to find new discs, or where to get the originals rebonded, or what parts someone may have slaved into my tractor in years gone by? I can post pictures if anyone has any thoughts. I am in western Iowa if someone knows of a shop that may have what Im looking for.

IH fan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Disc Brakes? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That 6 cylinder engine and green paint under the red should have been a dead give-away Laughing Laughing

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Disc Brakes? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It sounds like a picture would be very helpful in figuring this out.
Zach

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Disc Brakes? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steve_E wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:31:23 09/20/10) I bought a Farmall last year (the decals are all Super M, but by the serial # it is a "43 M). Im lovin" it - havent been on a tractor in 20 years and glad to be back in the seat. My issue is that the brakes are prety bad, so I took everything apart and realized it has disc brakes instead of bands - doesnt seem right for a "43 from what Ive read, so I figure I must have a newer chassis with an older powerplant. Anyway, the discs are almost to the rivets, so I ordered a new set and when I got them them noticed that the ones I bought (and all the others Ive seen for sale) have 12 splines for about an 1 7/8" shaft. My tractor has a 2 3/8" shaft with 26 splines. A guy in town told me that only Olivers had a 26 spline shaft for the disc brakes? Does anyone have any advice for where to find new discs, or where to get the originals rebonded, or what parts someone may have slaved into my tractor in years gone by? I can post pictures if anyone has any thoughts. I am in western Iowa if someone knows of a shop that may have what Im looking for.

Your M has been equipped with the Osco-Lambert aftermarket disk brakes. The Lambert brakes are obsolete. Zero parts available. I converted my '50 H with those brakes back to the original style band brakes.

ScottyHOMeY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Disc Brakes? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depending where you are, there ought to be a real brake shop, or a local garage that can reline your discs. Might be a question as to thickness that needs to be resolved first.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Disc Brakes? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How many bolts hold the brake cover on?

If only 3, then they are Lambert.

If 6, then they are IH.

agpilot
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Disc Brakes? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Steve_E: Rusty Farmall info about aftermarket brakes is good info to checkout and I was thinking M&W may have also had aftermarker brakes. Look close for any info on brake parts? By the way, most of the large cast iron parts on Farmalls have "casting codes" on them and Guy Fay wrote a book ($10) with "Data" on these codes (Check Amazon for Guy Fay) Having all large castings dated might help later for repairs like engine block, rear end and tranny etc.. ag

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Disc Brakes? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ScottyHOMEy wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:20:38 09/21/10) Depending where you are, there ought to be a real brake shop, or a local garage that can reline your discs. Might be a question as to thickness that needs to be resolved first.

There are a few independent truck and trailer (Semi) shops around here that reline brakes. That would be a good place to start.

RPM1941

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Disc Brakes? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have Lambert disc brake conversion from IH, last Ms were Super M disc brakes made by Ausco, 3 bolt cast cover & large spline diameter is spotting feature of Lambert, call Brian at 712-563-4219 & ask for 368981R91 or 368983R91, cant remember which, this was discs complete from CaseIH, H & M Lambert, see what he can get you. IH sold these as parts pkg, for HD use like plowing because band type didnt last long, now bands are good enough for utility work.

Nick Lenarz
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Disc Brakes? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ROFL @Duanes! You snot! Very Happy Very Happy

Steve_E
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Disc Brakes? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks! I appreciate all of the help - I will see what I can find to get going on this. It has the 3-bolt housing some folks mentioned. One question - does the Lambert conversion hurt / help the value of the tractor? Im not looking to sell it, just wondering.
I am out of town right now, so the only photo I have is the one I use for my laptop background, doesnt show the brake housings well, but gives a good overall of my machine - also shows the IH trip bucket my wife found me on Craigs List.

Steve_E
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Disc Brakes? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With the picture this time?

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Disc Brakes? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steve_E wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:01:32 09/21/10) Thanks! I appreciate all of the help - I will see what I can find to get going on this. It has the 3-bolt housing some folks mentioned. One question - does the Lambert conversion hurt / help the value of the tractor? Im not looking to sell it, just wondering.
I am out of town right now, so the only photo I have is the one I use for my laptop background, doesnt show the brake housings well, but gives a good overall of my machine - also shows the IH trip bucket my wife found me on Craigs List.

It helps the value in my opinion bc it is a neat thing that not everybody has. A good conversation piece.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Disc Brakes? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steve_E wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:01:32 09/21/10) Thanks! I appreciate all of the help - I will see what I can find to get going on this. It has the 3-bolt housing some folks mentioned. One question - does the Lambert conversion hurt / help the value of the tractor? Im not looking to sell it, just wondering.

Considering the fact that the Lambert brakes are obsolete, and repair parts are no longer available from anyone, including aftermarket, the lambert brakes would not add any value to the tractor, and may even be a detriment to the value.

Big Red Ed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M Disc Brakes? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We just finished restoring one last yr.
We just took them to a Brake shop in Dallas and they rebuilt them for us..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.